Very painful nipples

themaybaby

Reaction score
My son was born on Wednesday (May 21st). My nipples are very sore, very sore. I want to exclusively breastfeed but I've started giving him bits of formula because I just got nurse him for that long. Does anyone have any good pointers or tips. I'm bummed that I'm giving him formula, but I'm hoping my milk comes in soon. Which is another thing. Because I have no milk he is cluster feeding which is why they are so sore.

Are you putting anything on them. Lansinoh is great stuff and speeds the healing. Try to limi the formula, this could delay your milk coming in

Yeah, I have been using Lansinoh like crazy, every time he get's off. The only reason that I've been giving formula is because I can't stand the pain and can only feed him for 15 minutes at a time. So I know he isn't getting enough. But I have been giving him very little formula, just enough to know he has something. Do you think 15 on each breast is acceptable enough to not have to supplement anything? He's doing very well going back and forth but I don't want him to get confused or have a weak latch due to the bottle use. How long did it take you personally for your nipples to get used to the feeling or toughen. I can't remember how long it took with my daughter.

I had this problem. My nipples looked like they had the ends chopped off. The pain was so bad id scream for a few minutes after latching on & was nearly sick every time from the pain & bled alot. Hard I know but try to leave breasts uncovered to let air get to them for as long as possible then put lansinoh on. Mine took a couple of weeks to heal due to tongue tie. It will get better but hard bit is getting there. My lg was thankfully only feeding for 10 mins at a time so shouldn't need to give formula I nearly give up so many times... my language was very colourful every feed

I feel your pain! My LO was born on the 5th May so we are nearly at the 3 week mark. The first 2 weeks were the worst for me. My nipples weren't too bad until my milk came in. I used lansinoh religiously and let them air as much as possible. By the 2 week mark, we began to turn a corner and now at almost 3 weeks they are all healed, and it only hurts initially when he grabs on if my areola is all shrunken up and wrinkly (sorry hope that makes sense!) and or my boobs are pretty full. Otherwise things are good and I'm so glad I made it through those first couple of weeks. Between the nipple pain, engorgement and hormones I was miserable. Of course we are still very early days but I feel that we are on the upswing. Most things that I read said improvement should happen between 2-6 weeks. Hang in there, I know it feels like an eternity, but once things improve, it makes it all worth it. And for what it's worth, I think 15 minutes each side is good. My LO fed about the same and wasn't topped up :)

Sounds like you have a latch issue. You need to see a lactation consultant to help improve latch.

I had this problem. My nipples looked like they had the ends chopped off. The pain was so bad id scream for a few minutes after latching on & was nearly sick every time from the pain & bled alot. Hard I know but try to leave breasts uncovered to let air get to them for as long as possible then put lansinoh on. Mine took a couple of weeks to heal due to tongue tie. It will get better but hard bit is getting there. My lg was thankfully only feeding for 10 mins at a time so shouldn't need to give formula I nearly give up so many times... my language was very colourful every feed

Thanks so much for your feedback. I will definitely try tomorrow to breastfeed exclusively. I will let you know how it goes!

I feel your pain! My LO was born on the 5th May so we are nearly at the 3 week mark. The first 2 weeks were the worst for me. My nipples weren't too bad until my milk came in. I used lansinoh religiously and let them air as much as possible. By the 2 week mark, we began to turn a corner and now at almost 3 weeks they are all healed, and it only hurts initially when he grabs on if my areola is all shrunken up and wrinkly (sorry hope that makes sense!) and or my boobs are pretty full. Otherwise things are good and I'm so glad I made it through those first couple of weeks. Between the nipple pain, engorgement and hormones I was miserable. Of course we are still very early days but I feel that we are on the upswing. Most things that I read said improvement should happen between 2-6 weeks. Hang in there, I know it feels like an eternity, but once things improve, it makes it all worth it. And for what it's worth, I think 15 minutes each side is good. My LO fed about the same and wasn't topped up :)

Thanks so much! I will bite my lip and let him feed. Luckily my milk is starting to come in!!!

Sounds like you have a latch issue. You need to see a lactation consultant to help improve latch.

Well I just got out of the hospital and was seen by a few LC. They all said I was doing it right. Were your nipples ever painful?

Yes I had very sore nipples with my son. I used lasinoh to keep my nipples moist as they would crack and bleed if they dried out.
Bear's latch looked fine but would hurt, the feeds that didn't hurt looked like bad latches. My pain came from poor latch which would cause the blood vessels in my nipples to think I had severed nipples and would shut down blood supply to them.

It gets easier when their mouth gets bigger.

I'm still breastfeeding my 23 month old.

Do you have a pump? It would really help your supply to pump after each feed at the moment whilst you top up with formula or even the bm you have expressed. Its easy on the nipples and will encourage your milk and ensure you have a good supply for when you can feed for extended periods of time. Your milk will only produce what it thinks you need so if your lo is only taking a certain amount that is all you will produce. I wouldnt pump for too long as you dont want an over supply but 5 mins each side might be enough.

Yes I had very sore nipples with my son. I used lasinoh to keep my nipples moist as they would crack and bleed if they dried out.
Bear's latch looked fine but would hurt, the feeds that didn't hurt looked like bad latches. My pain came from poor latch which would cause the blood vessels in my nipples to think I had severed nipples and would shut down blood supply to them.

It gets easier when their mouth gets bigger.

I'm still breastfeeding my 23 month old.

I hope I can make it to 23 months!

Do you have a pump? It would really help your supply to pump after each feed at the moment whilst you top up with formula or even the bm you have expressed. Its easy on the nipples and will encourage your milk and ensure you have a good supply for when you can feed for extended periods of time. Your milk will only produce what it thinks you need so if your lo is only taking a certain amount that is all you will produce. I wouldnt pump for too long as you dont want an over supply but 5 mins each side might be enough.

I just started doing this today, actually. I'm going to continue until my milk supply is where it needs to be. Anyone can answer this question: Does anyone know why my breastmilk won't make him full. I can nurse him for 20 30 mins. But when he gets off he starts to suck his fingers and cry, but when I give him a little formula he's so content. If I can get him to become full off of my milk alone I think I may almost be where I want to be! Did this happen with anyone :(

I just started doing this today, actually. I'm going to continue until my milk supply is where it needs to be. Anyone can answer this question: Does anyone know why my breastmilk won't make him full. I can nurse him for 20 30 mins. But when he gets off he starts to suck his fingers and cry, but when I give him a little formula he's so content. If I can get him to become full off of my milk alone I think I may almost be where I want to be! Did this happen with anyone :(

This is normal for breastfed babies. Breastmilk digests more quickly than formula. My DD was attached to me constantly the first two weeks. She had lots of wet and dirty diapers and gained the appropriate amount of weight. That is the only way you can judge if they're getting enough milk. Yours will be skewed because of the formula though. Even now at 5 weeks, i spent almost the entire day with DD at the breast. She never seemed satisfied, but needed a diaper change after every feed, so i know she was getting plenty of milk.

Increase your good fats such as whole cream milk, coconut cream, almonds, avocado, fatty fish, steak with the fat on, bacon, duck fat, real butter. This will help boost the fat content in your milk which makes baby full

Thanks so much guys, al the tips are very helpful. Things are slowly getting better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->