Very sick after birth - gluten sensitivity

bunny

Reaction score
just wondering if anyone else had a problem like mine
As soon as i got pregnant, i became anaemic very quickly and very very bloated. I had a massive bump and took two galfer to get my iron levels up.
after birth i was still huge and had a diastisis. 6 weeks postnatal i got very very ill and lost 6 kg with very bad bowel symptoms and severe cramps. lasted three months until i cut out gluten and it rectifyed itself immediately (not the diastisis, the cramps etc)
doc didnt seem to think it could be coeliac and i initially thought that it could have been the metronidazole antibiotic for my epis infection.
has anyone else been sensitive to gluten after pregnancy or childbirth?
thanks
ash

there is a blood test for coeliacs disease... ask your GP

temporary food intolerance is very common after antibiotic related diarhoea

hope you feel better soon
x

thanks mrs. i thought it was going to be temporary lactose intolerance but lactose is fine. this has lasted well over a year now, i still get very ill after eating gluten. did the coeliac screen but showed negative (had already started diet) couldnt face reintroducing cos i was still BFing and so dehydrated i was seeing stars.
Problem is that they didnt take me seriously - said it was psychological. Doc said that it couldnt be CD because Im a dietitian and that would be too much of a coincidence. at the time i thought about writing a complaint but i was too ill to bother!
i dont really see what else it couldbe - its lasted too long and its not just wheat its everything glutinous, even oats!
parenthood! loveit!

Hi there, I have had extremely bad cramps and the runs since giving birth also. I have an appointment with a consultant in a few weeks as my doctor is quite concerned with it. I have been told not to cut out any foods as this can mask whats really behind the trouble I'm having. Although saying all that, I'm pregnant again and it has been replaced with constipation again lol :(

I am a nursing student and I agree, it sounds like Celiac disease, but if you're having a problem with oats, it might be an allergic reaction. There are different types of allergic reactions, so it at least a possibility to explore. Also there is IBS or GERD. I have GERD and me and pasta don't mix very well, let me tell you! I would explore some of the other food sensitive bowel issues just to see if any of the symptoms are consistent at all with what you might have, but maybe there are other tests for Celiac disease that your doctor isn't doing?

I would go to someone else if I could because it's ridiculous that they're not helping you enough to get you better! I hope they get you fixed up soon so you can feel better! I know what it's like to have digestive problems and believe me, I don't wish it on anyone!

thanks folks, i feel much better on the diet thankfully. I would have held off cutting out gluten but my potassium had dropped so low that it was dangerous and my LO was BFing like crazy (it was before she had started solids) i had such a bad experience with dehydration that i probably will never be able to face reintroducing for a diagnosis. I honestly thought that i was going to die, and did actually pass out once. Im pretty sure that it is CD, its definitely not GORD or allergy as it has resolved and i can manage gluten free wheat starch. found out the other week that its in my mums side of the family. ive asked for an appointment with someone else, but im still BFing and starting a new job soon so not so keen to get ill again.
](*,)
just wondering if it was a pure coincidence or if it was triggered by pregnancy.
sarah chops - the cramps were unbearable! youre right not to cut anything out though if you can bear it. keep us posted

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->