Very upset-why is my supply dropping all of a sudden?

9jawife

Mom of one
Reaction score
My LO will be four months old this Thursday. We had major issues in the beginning, which were my fault. It took a lot of time and effort, but he has been exclusively breast fed for over two months and is still gaining weight on the high end.

My question is this. Up until the last couple of days, I was engorged in the mornings and was able to pump 3-5 ounces after feedings. Now I'm no longer engorged and am lucky to get an ounce, if anything, after feeding. LO also seems fussier at the breast, although he is still pooping and peeing as usual.

I take no medications (just Motherlove herbal tincture), and my diet hasn't changed. There is no way I could be pregnant. Any ideas? I just keep putting him to the breast, but i'm sooo anxious. Thanks.

You might have ovulated. Click below to get an idea of how to tell if you've ovulated. I put it in "spoiler" tags in case anyone doesn't want to read the "TMI" details:

When you're fertile (ovulating), your cervical mucus increases in volume. It also gets stretchy, slippery, and clear. So if you're extra wet in that region and it's clear and stretchy

So if you've ovulated, this would explain the sudden drop. Don't worry about it as your baby can get enough with a bit of extra effort. Once you're done with this part of your cycle, your supply will go back to normal. Also, having ovulated doesn't mean your period is going to return yet.

I have noticed a drop in supply over the last few days, for the first time, DD was draining a side, shouting at me, and then draining the other side. I've also has very sore nipples. My first PP period arrived this evening and LO is 15 weeks today and EBF!

Pumping 3-5 ounces after feeding is not normal, your supply is probably just regulating, the fussing is because he actually has to work for his meal :) as long as the wets and weight stays good, just keep up the good work!

Sounds normal. Supply regulates normally anywhere between 6weeks and 3months after starting to breastfeed. If you've been exclusively breastfeeding for 2months then that is probably what is happening. Engorgement happens when the breast are making MORE milk than you need. They go back to feeling normal and squishy once they are making the "right" amount.

Hooray - this means you can buy new nursing bras for your new shape and don't need to keep an xxl one in the drawer for uber engorged days!

I had that round 4 months too, although I never did have much excess to express! I do think it is related to hormones and ovulation and af, just keep going and it should regulate :)

Your supply is more than likely regulating. It isn't normal to be able to pump 3-5oz after a feed. Your body is designed to produce enough for your baby and any extra is oversupply that isn't needed to feed your baby and it is designed to recognise this and rectify your supply. Pumping isn't as stimulating as the baby nursing so it isn't a reliable method of keeping up your supply long term.

I would say (like the others said), either your supply is just regulating or your period is starting. I think my supply regulated around that time. But also, when my period starts (the night before), LO is up all night, cranky, not feeding well at all. It's happened a few times now. Very frustrating.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->