visiting primary schools

wishuwerehere

dh, me and 2dds
Reaction score
My daughter is due to start school next year so we're starting to look at some primary schools to apply to. Just wondered if any mums with kids already at school could suggest what it's a good idea to look at or ask about? I'm pretty clueless!

I think you just get a feel for the place,the staff etc.I looked for outdoor space and by looking at work that was displayed and certificates it gave me an idea of how they worked/rewarded effort.Ask any questions you think of too.I chose mine for the open plan layout,nice outside space and just because the children looked happy and the teachers interacted with them/knew them individually.

I went to my first one yesterday. I don't drive and there's only 2 within walking distance so not too much choice but I'm going to check them both out. Like PP said I just went for a feel of the place. The school I looked at was very bright, and the kids seemed happy. We looked in on classrooms and say them learning. It's a very big school though, that's my only concern (6 classes per year) but my nephew goes there and was fine, plus it's one of the best schools in the borough.

I say go with your gut feeling. We went to visit one school that on paper seemed like everything we wanted but when we visited we just didn't like the feel of it.

One thing for us was how happy the children were. To us that was more important than how many children progressed to the local grammar school etc. there is no point in the children being pushed if they are then unhappy and also generally speaking if they are happy they work better.

Also, Do you take your child with you? I ask because my LO is in nursery and the open day is at either 10am or 1:30pm so either way I'd have to collect LO from nursery then go to the open day, and then take her back to nursery as I have no leave left to then take the whole morning or afternoon off.

I took Tom with me on Monday cos he's at home with me then and I have no-one to leave him with. I just checked with the school that it was ok. Other schools have times when he's at nursery so he won't come then.

When we visited they recommended at you come without them as sometimes they can be a distraction. I know that if we take Esther with us when it's her turn that we won't take any info in as she will want the attention.

We've started looking round schools and have seen 2 of the 3 we are interested in. The first one was a lovely school and felt nice and welcoming but after looking around the second one yesterday I'm torn. We took Ben to both schools and he was so much more relaxed at the 2nd School he was actually running around and asking questions, even held the ladies hand that was showing us around at one point. Which for Ben is a massive deal.
Think about location and if the school will suit your child. I work in a College so don't really go on ofsted reports as I know there is a lot of political back scratching that goes on. Worth a look but not something that would make my ultimate decision. Deciding is only the first hurdle, it's the getting in thats the hard part!!!

We've started looking round schools and have seen 2 of the 3 we are interested in. The first one was a lovely school and felt nice and welcoming but after looking around the second one yesterday I'm torn. We took Ben to both schools and he was so much more relaxed at the 2nd School he was actually running around and asking questions, even held the ladies hand that was showing us around at one point. Which for Ben is a massive deal.
Think about location and if the school will suit your child. I work in a College so don't really go on ofsted reports as I know there is a lot of political back scratching that goes on. Worth a look but not something that would make my ultimate decision. Deciding is only the first hurdle, it's the getting in thats the hard part!!!

So true!!

Like the other ladies have said, just go for a look around and see how it feels. You will get a feel for the place. Schools which are clean and bright and tidy can make an impression on you. You will notice how relaxed the teachers are, and how new/old the equipment is which the children use. You will be able to see if the children are enjoying their learning, and what emphasis is placed on good behaviour.
There are only 2 primary schools in my catchment area so I have been going to lots of other schools to look around at the moment. Interestingly, the one school which I thought was going to blow my mind turned out to be rubbish, in my opinion.

We did a lot of what the other posters have done. I'd be careful about taking a child with you as they get their own ideas about what school they like and it might not match up with yours! Alex was obsessed with going to a school I really didn't like just because he got to play with a toy dalek there.

We asked questions on how they discipline children, what trips they take kids on and talked to the reception teacher about what topic they were teaching. It was easy to tell which teachers were better by how enthusiastically they responded to the last question. If you work it's also important to know about before and after school care

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JTom
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->