Vitamin A and Fish Oil supplements - be careful!!

barasti

Reaction score
So I've been taking a fish oil supplement since December - it's Omega 3 - 6 - 9, Flaxseed, Fish and Borage oil. I don't eat fish and I've read that it's good to try and get some of those essential oils into your system.

I've been taking approx 400mg of fish oil for three months.

Just discovered that this could have WAY killed my Vitamin A level and now I am a complete wreck worrying that I've just done some serious damage.

help :(

Yep.. in tears now. Phoning the doc when she gets in, in 30 mins.

What exactly in that has vitamin A? Is it the fish oil? I know Cod liver oil, or other fish liver oil can contain vitamin A, but regular fish oil, from other fish tissues, while it may have other issues, shouldn't be so full of vitamin A.

The form to avoid in case of overdose during pregnancy is retinol/retinyl from animal tissues. Beta carotene or other carotene forms are processed differently by the body so you only make as much as you need. You can eat all the carrots and pumpkin you want (well until you turn orange), but watch your liver intake.

This is what i've been taking:
https://www.iherb.com/Super-Omega-3-6-9-1200-mg-180-Softgels/325?at=0

Got my husband to go home from work and check the bottle for me - there's no pregnancy warning on the bottle so I can only guess that's a good thing?

God, now I feel really sick. Not morning sickness, anxiety sickness. :((((((

Oh thank God - I just found this in the FAQ section of their website:

Are your Fish Oil products high in Vitamin A?

Omega-3 fish oils are made from the whole bodies of fish such as sardines, anchovies, and mackerel, rather than from fish liver oil. Omega-3 fish oils are body oils that undergo purification to remove these vitamins and provide EPA and DHA.

In case anyone comes across this again - I just bought a new packet of 3 6 9 as my old one (above) was running out. The one above appears to be safe for pregnancy, but I just bought "webber naturals omega 3 6 9" which clearly states that it's not for use in pregnancy (hence the freak out)

Be super careful with your fish oil ladies, I just gave myself a mini heart attack!!!!

I don't think there is any vitamin A in there. However, you may want to stop taking it because borage oil can cause contractions.
The fish oil and flax seed oil should be just fine though.
I'm sure your Dr will reassure you when you call. :hugs:

Thanks so much, bky. Doc still isn't in, but i'll take your advice and stop taking it in favour for some pregnancy safe fish and flaxseed oils!! xo

I use the One-A-Day Prentatals and they have the prenatal vitamin AND a fish oil pill. These are obviously used for pregnancy so maybe just a suggestion for anyone looking.

Flax is good for TTC but I've read some scary facts about it during pregnancy, make sure you ask you doctor about the supplemments you're taking love!!

I take sanatogen omega 3 with the sanatogen mum to be- both sold together

I take Pure alaska Omega Wild Alaskan Salmon Oil. On the label it says its mercury free. Thats something you wanna check is make sure your fish oil doesnt have mercury in it.

I take Omega fish oils too, i mentioned it and my doctor didn't say anything.

Ok, here's what the midwife told me: even though I don't eat fish, I eat tins of tuna in springwater quite a bit. She said that if I can manage about four cans a week and maybe one dinner with some kind of fish (I can only bear salmon) then i'll be getting a good amount and there's no need for any kind of supplement.

I'm wary of mercury levels too, I know Tuna is one of the higher content ones - so if I stick to the 4 cans plus a small piece of salmon I should be right.

Sardines are better (if you like them!) as they are a lower food chain fish so accumulate less mercury. I ate sardines quite regularly before becoming pregnant and after until MS put a stop to that. :D
Something like a couple teaspoons of flaxseeds (ground or whole, though whole is better as the oils can degrade once ground) gives you a good amount of the omega 3 as well. Plus it helps with constipation! I put some in my oatmeal/porridge every day. (Though again, one of those things that you don't want to overdo)

https://www.motherisk.org/women/herbal.jsp
This is one of several really great sites with pregnancy/herbs/supplements info. If you usually take either, this might be a good place to browse. :)

SARDINES........ ack!!! :sick: But who knows... Maybe my tastes will change?!

SARDINES........ ack!!! :sick: But who knows... Maybe my tastes will change?!

Yeah, that is exactly how I feel about sardines!! I know their benefits especially in pregnancy but unfortunately I don't like them. I cannot bring myself to eating them. I wish I could!

hi I`m now 13 weeks pregnant and i took nature made fish oil with EPA and DHA 273mg for almost 40 days with 1 tablet per day bottle precsribed to take 4tablets per day will it harm my baby please help

i use pregnancare plus which has an omega 3 capsule included aswell as the multivitamin. maybe switch to these as they're specifically for pregnancy x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->