Vitex/Agnus Castus vs Soy Isoflavones...?

MemmaJ

Reaction score
I've just started taking Vitex having read a lot about it online. But now since starting it, I've also read about Soy and am wondering if that's actually more suitable for my needs.

Basically I was loosely diagnosed with 'mild' PCOS at the beginning of December after I went to the doctor 6 months into TTC, regarding some irregular bleeding and concerns that I'm not ovulating (from using OPK's).

I'm not entitled to Clomid as I'm not 'childless' and that is unfortunately a rule for fertility treatment where I live.

That's when I started looking into alternatives and read about Vitex.

I don't have particularly irregular cycles (they vary between 25 and 29/30 days) and I appear to ovulate (if/when I do) around CD16.
The problem seems to be ovulation and whether it's actually happening, rather than really irregular/long cycles.

From what I've read since starting Vitex, it seems like Soy might be better for this sort of situation but there is so much conflicting information that I don't know..!

Does anyone have any input or experience with this, or a situation similar to mine?

I would take vitex as it aids in regulating hormones, or start drinking peppermint tea its been shown in studies to reduce testosterone and raise FSH in women with PCOS, I would not mess with Soy isoflavones is not a substitute for clomid.

Lisa is right. Don't take soy as a substitute for clomid. Read this and you'll know the difference between soy and clomid. It will also mention why it's not good for women with pcos. I posted this on another thread earlier today.
https://www.babycenter.com/404_can-soy-isoflavones-help-me-get-pregnant_10364266.bc

Ovulation in CD16 is actually almost perfect. I personally would love to ovulate CD16 at least. I currently ovulate CD19-21. To be honest with you, I don't think you need Vitex or soy. But if you insist I think you should stay with Vitex . In the end it's your choice. Do your research.

Can't you just ask you OB/Gyn to prescribe clomid for you? It's just a medication and doesn't take that much time to write it for you. I don't get why it matters if your childless or not.

I'm only 3rd month ttc for first child and wanna try clomid for a month. My mom took it the month she conceived my bro although she didn't have fertility problems. She was only able to ttc that one month my dad was there and didn't wanna miss the month. I'd be disappointed if I don't get it when I ask for it lol.

I don't know if I do actually ovulate every month though, that's my point. When I have got a 'possibly positive' OPK, it's been around that time, but some months I don't get what I would call a positive or any symptoms. When my doctor diagnosed the PCOS last month, she confirmed I'm 'probably not' ovulating every month.

I'm in England so it works differently here. I'm not entitled to free Clomid (via the NHS) because of the rules here staying you must be childless. I could get it, but it would have to be through a private clinic, which in total would cost around £600-£700 just for the first cycle and then about half that every cycle afterward. We just can't afford it, which is why I was looking at other options like Vitex - basically anything that might help me ovulate properly!

I'll certainly steer clear of soy for now though, and just see how I get on with Vitex.
I've read lots of forum posts about soy working like Clomid and making people ovulate who haven't been before - the confliction is crazy!

Wow I didn't imagine clomid costing that much. If you suspect your not ovulating, that's another story. Opk will never determine if you have ovulated. Take your temperature, it will definitely show if your ovulating. Stay with Vitex for now and take your temps. When you see temps go higher it means you ovulated and your corpus luteum is producing progesterone.

I started temping because I was curious from the first cycle. It really helped me get to know my body and cycles better. I hope that it turns out that you are ovulating!

Yup soy is might work for some but it's not guaranteed to work for everyone. And for some it might make things worse.

Good luck hope you get your BFP soon!

I've worried myself now as I had a blank circle on my CBD today (CD13)... Usually I'd expect a flashing smiley today (and tomorrow) and then a solid one on CD15.

I've only been taking Vitex since CD9 but I'm already paranoid that I've messed up my cycle now...! I'll be really miffed (and even more worried) if I don't get a flashing smiley tomorrow!

My theory and I may be wrong, the reason soy works for some who are not ovulating regularly is their estrogen may be low so the soy helps in that aspect as soy is estrogen but I dont believe it would ever stimulate eggs to grow like clomid does as it wont be raising FSH like clomid would . so I am thinking the reason it delayed my ovulation this month is because its a estrogen so it suppressed my FSH ( like birth control would) which made my body take longer to grow the egg this month.

I took vitex one cycle and it made my LH so high I got positives for weeks so in some women its helpful regulating hormones and in others its not.
I got my clomid online because I ovulate on my own so doctors wont prescribe it ,
it really is best to try to get it from a doctor so you can be monitored though.

I can't get it through a doctor either :-(
Do you mind me asking which site you got your Clomid from? I've spent a lot of time looking but a lot of the websites look like the same one?!!
I don't want to waste a few cycles on Vitex if it's going to mess my cycles up :-/

I can't get it through a doctor either :-(
Do you mind me asking which site you got your Clomid from? I've spent a lot of time looking but a lot of the websites look like the same one?!!
I don't want to waste a few cycles on Vitex if it's going to mess my cycles up :-/

I sent you a pm.

This is my first cycle taking 1 agnus cactus every morning as my cycle were 40days and wanted them to be shorter and I heard really good things about it
But I'm
On cycle day 33 and still no sign but I hear it take 3 months to work so were see

On my bottle it says 100mg so when af finally shows I'm going to start taking 2 everyday

100 or 1000...?
Keep us updated on this threa how you get on with it :)
I'll be doing my CDB OPK this afternoon and I I don't get a flashing smiley I'm going to be very worried that Vitex has had the opposite effect I wanted on me, lol...!

1000mg sorry

and will do, I know it can take 3 months to work but kind of got my hopes up it would work straight away and read it has for other women but maybe once i start taking 2 everyday might help speed it up who knows
everyone women different

lol i hope it has worked for you

Yes I've read similar stories. I'm also taking 2000mg a day but started on CD9 as I didn't order them in time for CD1!
Will be taking my CBD OPK in the next couple of hours so will see what it says. If it's a blank circle again I may just stop taking the Vitex!

Well I got a solid smiley... :-/
Which I guess I should be happy about, but now I'm confused as to why I haven't had any flashing smileys first (I had 2 days of flashing before a solid last month, which was the first month I'd used ClearBlue). Argh nothing is ever easy...!

Tell me about it nothing ever simple

Before I went on BC my period were every 28 days perfect, Year later i come off BC as TTC and my period have not been regular and the last 2 months they been 40 days long which is annoying, hope this month it isn't longer.. I was working out my CD and today is 33 not 34..
been having a few cramps today on and off and headaches on and off maybe the witch is on her way

I took vitex and it did nothing for me soy iso got me pregnant cant recommend it enough x

Vitex ok, one a day regulate the body. Soy, no no. Get bloods done. I'm a pharmacist. Do not mess with hormones.

Have any of you had mild cramping and sore boobs on vitex? I have just started taking it on the 4 of this month but I feel those symptoms! It is so strange. I am fertile just wanted to give my reproductive system it's best chance as I have had losses after my son and after a year and some months I am ready to TTC again!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->