Vitex during First Trimester

beachyvibes

Reaction score
Hi everyone!! First time poster here so please bear with me. :wacko:

Okay I am 25 years old and I have a beautiful 17 month-old daughter. Up until 14 months postpartum I did not have a period(still nursing my daughter), so I began taking Vitex capsules(3 400-mg capsules a day). Two weeks later, I got my first postpartum period(7/5/17). I continued taking 3 capsules daily until my next period 5 weeks later(8/12/17). After my second postpartum period, I dropped down to two capsules(800-mg daily total-- one in the morning, one in the night). I ovulated way late that cycle(9/17/17). Well lo and behold, I am pregnant! I have been BBT-ing since late August and everything was out of whack until a temp spike on the 17th--my husband and I did the deed(lol) on the 17th.

Anyhoo, got my BFP pretty faint 9DPO. But it has gotten darker and darker. So my question: when should I wean off Vitex? Can anyone share personal experiences? I have read too many horror stories but quitting cold turkey. I don't know if I should wean now SUUUUPER slowly. Or wait until like 10-12 weeks and THEN start weaning slowly?

I should add my daughter nurses frequently during the night and once during the day so I really feel like I need the hormonal balance Vitex offers since I am still producing prolactin and would hate for it to override the estrogen or progesterone needed to maintain a happy and healthy pregnancy.

I have done so much reading and stressing. I was just love some input.:winkwink:

Hi I'm on the dame boat as you. I got my BFP at 10 dpo a few days ago. I will continue on vitex until end of first trimester (this is advice from my naturopath) but I am also taking progesterone suppositories 200mg/day because I had a progesterone drop.
It's really up to you. I personally would continue the vitex though and slowly wean at the 12 week mark.

congrats to you, too! may I ask how you knew you had a progesterone drop? through a blood test I am presuming... did yu get tested after your BFP?

So happy to have someone in the same position. :)

congrats to you, too! may I ask how you knew you had a progesterone drop? through a blood test I am presuming... did yu get tested after your BFP?

So happy to have someone in the same position. :)

Yes it was through bloodwork and the drop was actually before my bfp which I find so strange because it consistently should be going up.
Yesterday I went in for hcg/progesterone bloodwork (2 days after my bfp) and my progesterone went up! I think my obgyn wants to be on the safe side and put me on prometrium in case it drops again.
My obgyn advised to stop the vitex since I will be taking progestwrone but my naturopath suggested to stay on both just to wean to a lower dose of vitex.

You could always request bloodwork to check your progesterone even if your doctor doesn't recommend. I had to be really forceful (and annoying lol) to get my.progesterone consositently monitored.

I think I should call and ask for bloodwork... I'm just scared they're gonna think I'm crazy because I don't have any bad symptoms or anything yet. May I ask if you're breastfeeding? I feel like every time I nurse I worry that my progesterone is dipping too low. :(

I think I should call and ask for bloodwork... I'm just scared they're gonna think I'm crazy because I don't have any bad symptoms or anything yet. May I ask if you're breastfeeding? I feel like every time I nurse I worry that my progesterone is dipping too low. :(

Calling for bloodwork is a great idea. I just got 2 blood draws this past week to confirm pregnancy and check my progesterone.
I'm not breastfeeding bUT I feel if you explained to your doctor your concern that breastfeeding may interfere with progesterone production they would understand. Are you breastfeeding often?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->