Vitex in pregnancy?

kksy9b

Loving my 2 boys and baby girl!
Reaction score
Hi all!

So my doctor had me taking vitex to help me regulate my cycles post-weaning. I got my BFP a few days ago so I called in to ask if I should keep taking it and she said it was fine (this was done via a nurse who I missed the call back so wasn't able to ask her more questions directly). I've heard a lot of conflicting information though and thought I would ask you all for your experiences

Thanks!

I took it to conceive my daughter and took it until 15 weeks. If you stop cold turkey it could cause a MC as it helps a LOT with progesterone. That said, some come off it fine when they get a BFP. I started weaning at 12 weeks by 1 pill a week and was off it by 15 weeks. No issues from it.

Thanks! I have about half a bottle left and wasn't really wanting to purchase more. i have enough to get me to my first appointment in a month and can talk to her more about it then.

I took it until 14 weeks with both pregnancies per recommendations from various sources. I mirror what the previous poster said about stopping cold turkey which is never a good idea with anything usually.

I found it hard to find a definite answer for this one too, I'd started using Vitex in 2012 when TTC#1 to regulate my cycles and wasn't sure what to do when I got my BFP. To cut a long story short, I ended up having a miscarriage with my first pregnancy, then had my daughter, then had two further miscarriages, and I'm now 15 weeks pregnant. The times I decided to keep taking the Vitex as normal or wean off slowly I miscarried, and this pregnancy and the one with my daughter were the two I decided to just stop completely as soon as I got my BFP. This could just be complete coincidence, but it's my experience. I don't think there's any harm in stopping suddenly as it's a herb which takes a while to build up and take full effect on your system anyway.

I took it prior to conceiving and continued to take it until the second trimester. I tapered off it so my body had a chance to adjust slowly. I too scared myself reading all the conflicting information, but I gave birth to a very healthy rainbow baby back in February. Keep in mind that most of the info floating around out there about Vitex is mostly anecdotal as big, well organized studies that would supply data that could be applied to the general population have not been done. Hence why you read so much conflicting stuff. And since you've been taking it, it's best to just wean off it by the second trimester when the placenta takes over most of the hormone regulation. All will be fine, mama. Congrats on your pregnancy. May you enjoy the rest of it and breath easy!

Thank you everyone so much for your input! For now, I'm taking it every other day until my appointment in early June. I appreciate you all taking the time to respond :flower:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->