Vitex/Maca Users: Is it side effects, pregnancy, or am I finally insane?

Robynxo

Finally there! Due in July 2019!
Reaction score
Hello ladies, (this post is going to be long - sorry!) :blush:

I am a long time stalker of this forum and I decided I should finally post again after 3 years since my last post.

A little background information: DH and I are in our early 20's. I have never had a BFP, a miscarriage, anything. We started NTNP about 3.5 years ago. Halfway through, we decided to start TTC. I haven't been big on charting my temperatures, and I tried checking CM and CP but it never really changed enough for me to notice. My normal period was probably about 35 days when I was a teenager, but in the past few years it has ranged from 22 to 80 days. Seriously, it’s that crazy lol. There is no telling when it will start. I believe I have a hormone imbalance or maybe PCOS, but I am trying to not self-diagnose. Also, I am trying to test out some things before I go in to see the doctor for some help.

After research and recommendations, I started taking Vitex and Maca on September 3, 2016. I started to get very gentle cramps, and voila! A few days later, I got my period! I was so excited after having 60-80 day cycles the past few cycles. The period was the normal 5 day flow I always have. Then the cramping stopped after my period ended. I continued to take the Vitex and Maca.

On CD 13/September 20th, I had cramps on and off all day. I have never experienced mid-cycle cramps before so I figured that I ovulated around that time. I found it odd because it was such a text book time to ovulate, and I have never ever had 28-day cycles. DH and I BD often enough usually, but around this time, it was more frequent (increased libido maybe?), at least every other day.

Around CD19/6DPO, I just felt odd, and like I was getting sick. When I get sick, my eyes have trouble focusing and I take a bath like every 2 hours. It is a sure way to know when I feel unwell. Also, I was getting car sick and although it isn’t unusual for me, it was very often.

Around CD21/8DPO, I had (sorry, tmi) brown-tinged CM, felt generally warm, and had dull cramps. I started printing pictures to start a family photo album, and my mother tells my husband “to watch out, she’s nesting!” lol. Read about that happening to someone else and it was just odd timing. I am INSANELY tired. My whole sleeping schedule is off because I started napping during the day. I feel like I could sleep all day and it feels so amazing to lay in bed. :sleep:

Today CD22/9DPO, I had one spot of red blood, as well as brown CM still. I do not have sore breasts or anything, but just the occasional cramping and warm feeling. I still feel like I am going to get a fever, because I want to be in the bath 24/7, but I never actually got sick. I am still very tired. I get twinges in my uterus as well as in my breasts but at this point, I am unsure if it’s real or not. I also get random waves of nauseousness but that could be in my head too!

I am a POAS-aholic, so naturally I have taken 3 HPTs already (I know, I need to stop! lol) and of course, they were all negative. I am trying SO HARD not to read into every little thing, but I seem to do that almost every cycle.

I guess my real question is, did taking Vitex/Maca give you some odd side effects like this? Or did I finally go insane from TTC? :wacko: lol. I’m only on the first month of taking the herbs and I am trying to tell myself that anything could be a side effect of the herbs or my hormonal changes. Any help would be appreciated!

I forgot to mention, those DPO days are probably not even close to accurate - I can only guess! That's why I put CD as well. Thanks in advance!

Honestly, it is totally possible to be any of the options. Sorry not to play devil's advocate here but, ttc does weird things to us and makes us read into every little thing. And generally herbs take awhile to work fully but it's totally possible that it was an easy fix for your body to work out quickly and start doing what it's supposed to do. It's all a wait and see game unfortunately, hate it as i do. I know that probably didn't help but... you're not alone. Ttc stinks...
GL! I hope it worked really fast and your waiting game is over!

Thanks for the reply! I'm definitely used to the whole crazy symptom spotting after all this time lol. But as of today, still no period and spotting has stopped. I hope this is it for me but even a period on time would be great, at least I would know for sure then! If AF comes, I hope it is a regular cycle instead of waiting months and months for AF to show. Ah, the joys of TTC lol.

Okay, I just wanted to update just in case anyone reads in the future.

I continued getting slight cramps from CD 20 to CD 30. I am quite sure I do not ovulate at all, so I am hoping the herbs are helping me start. Unfortunately, I started my period on the 24th of October 2016, at CD 48. My cycles have been 70+ days since last year so I'm very happy to see it shorter. Two very good things about Vitex/Maca are an increase in libido and I can finally sleep on a schedule now. When I started taking the herbs, I wanted to sleep all day and stay up all night. It seriously messed with my sleeping. But it finally regulated around CD 30 and now I get tired early around 9pm and always wake up before 8am. I have always had trouble waking up early and with insomnia, even in school as a kid. So this is a very happy change.

I hope to report a pregnancy in the future!

Hey, just wanted to update in case there are any who are reading in the future.

I'm on CD 47 of my second cycle on Vitex and Maca. I'm about to be CD 1 of my third cycle because I'm spotting today. All these symptoms turned out to be my body trying to ovulate. I started temping this cycle and on CD 34, my temp spiked and stayed for 14 days. So vitex and maca gave me a normal two week luteal phase. During this luteal phase, I got crampy, sleepy, a warm face, and tender breasts, all starting on the day I ovulated. Whenever I had these symptoms before, I thought something was off because I rarely felt these symptoms. But now I know that is ovulation, and it's all thanks to these herbs. I definitely recommend temping too! Hopefully I can check CM now because I have never had EWCM as far as I could tell.

I really really hope this third cycle will be it for me, but in the meantime I am very happy to see an ovulation pattern emerge.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
queenmom14
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->