Vitex: Whole Cycle? Or Part of Cycle?

MrsKitty

Reaction score
Hi Ladies,

I started taking Vitex/Agnus Castus a couple of days ago and I had read you take it for the full cycle and stop if you get a bfp. I have since read someone advise only taking it for the first 14 days, I presume till ovulation. Now reading a thread on another site someone said they don't take it during af. I am confused now! :shrug: I am taking it as I have a shorter cycle and shorter LP.

Does anyone have any experience or advise they can offer me please? Thank you! :)

Vitex is a slow working herb. It needs to be taken everyday for about three months or so for full affect to take place. I use it and take it everyday in a cycle and did get pregnant my second month on it. Although you do NOT want to stop when you get your BFP. Many women have and had miscarriages. Vitex is regulating your hormones and if you stop cold turkey they can all crash and you could lose the pregnancy. It is recommended to slowly wean down when you get closer to 12 weeks as that's when the placenta takes over.

Vitex is a slow working herb. It needs to be taken everyday for about three months or so for full affect to take place. I use it and take it everyday in a cycle and did get pregnant my second month on it. Although you do NOT want to stop when you get your BFP. Many women have and had miscarriages. Vitex is regulating your hormones and if you stop cold turkey they can all crash and you could lose the pregnancy. It is recommended to slowly wean down when you get closer to 12 weeks as that's when the placenta takes over.

Thank you for the advice, there is a lot of mixed information out there! :)

There is so much mixed info because not too much is known 100% about its effects yet :) if I still took it I would take it all through my cycle and wean off it in pregnancy.

however! As I said before not all there is to know about it is known. Some have reported miscarriages when stopping vitex, others have reported miscarriages on it. Its hard to know which are caused by vitex/lack of it and which are just natural miscarriages that would have happened anyway.

at this point it is at your discretion :) you can take it until you know you have ovulated, you can take it until you get a bfp or you can wean off it when youre pregnant. It affects everyone differently and what may work for 1 may not work for another. For example! There are a few ladies here, myself included who dont take it because it messes up their cycles. There are also some who swear by it as it helped regulate their cycles :)

good luck :)

I really do not know if it will be a good or a bad thing for my cycle yet I guess. I will wean off at pregnancy as I have read some herbalists say you should. I had a mc in December and was taking dhea on advise of my fs and weaned off when got my bfp. You never know if these things impact. Agnus Castus is supposed to be a 'safe' herb, but we do not really know I guess. Can I ask how it messed up your cycle and why you had decided to use it? Thank you again for your advice.

There is so much mixed info because not too much is known 100% about its effects yet :) if I still took it I would take it all through my cycle and wean off it in pregnancy.

however! As I said before not all there is to know about it is known. Some have reported miscarriages when stopping vitex, others have reported miscarriages on it. Its hard to know which are caused by vitex/lack of it and which are just natural miscarriages that would have happened anyway.

at this point it is at your discretion :) you can take it until you know you have ovulated, you can take it until you get a bfp or you can wean off it when youre pregnant. It affects everyone differently and what may work for 1 may not work for another. For example! There are a few ladies here, myself included who dont take it because it messes up their cycles. There are also some who swear by it as it helped regulate their cycles :)

Stalking! I'm taking ac and currently 8 dpo!

Hiya! Yes first cycle! Last cycle was a mess after my mc but this cycle has been much better. Now I'm unsure when or how to stop the vitex. I'm going to swop to half a tablet per day tomorrow I think incase I do get a bfp and need to wean off xx

Hiya! Yes first cycle! Last cycle was a mess after my mc but this cycle has been much better. Now I'm unsure when or how to stop the vitex. I'm going to swop to half a tablet per day tomorrow I think incase I do get a bfp and need to wean off xx

I am worried about the weaning off bit, are you going to take it again if you do not get your bfp? You will have to let me know how you get on :) My AFs have certainly been very different since the mc, really light but my cycles have been the same length (24 days).

I really do not know if it will be a good or a bad thing for my cycle yet I guess. I will wean off at pregnancy as I have read some herbalists say you should. I had a mc in December and was taking dhea on advise of my fs and weaned off when got my bfp. You never know if these things impact. Agnus Castus is supposed to be a 'safe' herb, but we do not really know I guess. Can I ask how it messed up your cycle and why you had decided to use it? Thank you again for your advice.

I came off implanon on april 17 last year and when AF hadnt returned by around august I started taking vitex. I didnt notice a difference but I knew it could take up to 3 months to take effect. So I kept going! I had a 134 day cycle before inducing AF with dong quai, but kept taking vitex! I had 2 anovulatory cycles (52 and 45 days long) and then stopped taking it. My next cycle I ovulated on day 7 and had a 21 day cycle. Since then I have had 23 day cycles with O on day 6, so I just havent gone back to vitex :) my cycles formed at least some kind of normal pattern as soon as I stopped :)

Stalking, this is my 1st month taking ac now just waiting for af to show up, right now she is 3 days late. Sadly I know I am not prego bc I broke my foot right at the time I would o last cycle.

I took it all cycle long as many people don't realize vitex wasn't originally used for fertility purposes but to ease symptoms of AF. The cycle regulation was a secondary benefit for women using it for overall hormonal balance.

For the record I took it all cycle long and it helped to rid myself of several fibroids and lessen a nasty case of endometriosis. When I got pregnant with this baby due in June I took vitex through the first trimester per my reproductive endocrinologist as she said stopping cold turkey can disrupt the hormonal balance that helped to achieve pregnancy in the first place. It helps to maintain progesterone during pregnancy and so stopping can be a roll of the dice as to whether your body will take over on its own producing progesterone or not. Baby girl is super healthy and kicking away :thumbup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->