Vomiting 8 hours AFTER GTT

AussieBub

Mum to 2DD & 1DS
Reaction score
Hey ladies just wanting to see if you can help me here as Google did not. I had my GTT today and apart from feeling a little rough and a little queasy, I felt fine during my 2 hour wait. After the second blood test and a packet of crisps I felt mostly human, just tired. I even dropped my daughter off at nursery with no issues. Decided with her at nursery that I'd have a nap since I was feeling tired. When I woke up 2 hours latter I felt awful. My body felt like heavy jelly (though not shaky). I felt like I had no energy. Tried snaking on some dry crackers and small bits of cheese to try and help my levels balance out.

Anyway as time went on I started having tightening in my diaphragm due to constipation causing a lot of trapped wind. I was in a lot of discomfort and starting feeling nauseous. I went to the bathroom to try and have a BM and walking caused me to burp a couple times. After the third burp everything came up. 8 hours after the test was finished. About a quarter of the Lucozade i drank, the cheese and the crackers. It was violent and painful as my diaphragm cramped up badly. When i came out the bathroom, OH handed me a glass of milk saying he'd read it should ease my stomach. I continuously sipped at it until I'd finished it and apart from the occasional diaphragm cramping (because I'm still constipated with trapped gas) I feel mostly fine again.

I guess I'm just hoping that maybe some of you have had a similar experience before and can enlighten me on whether the vomiting was anything to be concerned about or worth reporting? Everything i found online was just women talking about vomiting during the test and as I said, i felt mostly fine throughout the entire thing.

-AussieBub

P.S oh yeah dunno if it's worth mentioning that I'd felt run down yesterday and before I'd even had the Lucozade, I felt full and bloated (joys of constipation) so I struggled to even drink the full 410mls in the 10 mins because felt like I had no room for it.

After 8 hours I would say it is probably just bad luck more than anything to do with the test.
It is worth mentioning to your doctor next time you see them but I doubt you'd have such a violent reaction that much later in the day.
Sorry your day wasn't the best

I don't think that would have anything to do with the GTT. Sounds like you're sick or under the weather!

Thanks ladies, I did think it had been a bit long after the test to be related but wasn't sure. I've woken up today feeling alright, just a bit congested and sadly still constipated. Only been awake 30 mins though so will see how i feel throughout the day. Thanks again for your replies.

-AussieBub

I will not be drinking the drink this time and will be a natural alternative with my midwife. I got so violently ill when I did the three hour that I couldn't get out of bed for about eight hours. I vomited horrible, more horrible than most other times I've ever been sick, had horrible diarrhea, and was so exhausted I couldn't function.

I've heard of people having bad reactions to the drink. I think it sounds like you were already starting to get sick and with that and the mix of the drink, it messed up your afternoon.

Feel better!!

I've never taken the drink for that very reason. I've heard so much about it causing bad reactions that I didn't want to risk it. I'm a big baby when I'm sick and try to avoid it at all costs. If you happen to need to take it again, either with this pregnancy or a subsequent one, I'd definitely ask to just do an alternative. So sorry you had to go through this. I hope you get well soon xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->