• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Waiting for my ERPC and frightened

joo

Reaction score
Hello. i guess I'm not really asking anything as such, just sounding off.

I was supposed to be 10 weeks pregnant yesterday. I'd had a bleed at roughly 6 weeks, then again following a sharp pain on Wednesday, with a constant backache. i kept talking myself out of going to the doctors, but eventually on Monday morning I went. They examined me, said my uterus was closed, they could see fresh blood but no clots, & they managed to get me an appointment with the EPAU for later that afternoon which i was amazed by. i started to feel a bit like i was being over dramatic and causing a fuss as I'd had no bleeding that day.

Funny, after having a bad feeling from almost the start of the pregnancy, i actually started to have some hope in the waiting room before my scan. As soon as she said she needed to try scan internally as she was struggling to see due to my tilted uterus I knew it was bad news and couldn't hold back the tears. she was being as quick as she could with the probe and said it was bad news baby had died at 8+5 ( the day i had sharp quick pain in tummy and stared spotting). We were taken to a quiet room where a lovely nurse went through the findings and explained my 3 options - natural miscarriage, medication to bring on miscarriage or D&C with choice of local or general anaesthetic. I chose D&C under general anaesthetic and they booked me in for Wednesday morning then off I went for my blood test to check blood group and iron levels.

i chose D&C under general anaesthetic because i am frightened and i just want to go to sleep and when i wake up the worst will be over with. I really hoping it doesn't start before Wednesday but I have all day tomorrow to wait with cramps getting worse :( I am really frightened to do this naturally. I'm frightened of the pain, the blood, what i might see and how long it might last. Xxx

I just recently had a D&C about a week and a half ago for a blighted ovum at 12 weeks. Like you, I found out at 10 weeks and I was terrified of going through it naturally. I bled for almost a week before I finally got scheduled for my appointment, but luckily, it didn't start before my procedure. Of course everyone is different, but hopefully your body will be able to hold on one more day too. You can always go to the hospital if it starts and maybe they will go ahead with the D&C then.

Hang in there.:hugs:

I had a D&C when I miscarried the first time that I was pregnant which was 6 years ago now, I chose it because I too didn't want to go through with waiting to bleed and then the process of losing the baby naturally.

I am glad I did choose the D&C because although there was a little bleeding afterwards it was nothing compared to what I'm sure it would've been like if I'd have miscarried naturally.

Nothing that anyone says can make the process any easier on you, all I can do is give my experience of it and send big hugs xx

Thank you for your replies. I am sorry you had to go through this too :hugs:

Well the bleeding and pain were gradually getting worse and I'd started to pass small clots. However it all slowed down the morning of my procedure.

As soon as I woke up from the anaesthetic I immediately felt better - the fear was just gone. I have had some mild - moderate cramping and bleeding but, like I said, the fear is gone; I know what the pain is and why I am bleeding and that I am not going have heavy pains or labour-like pains or see any of the remains.

It really was the best decision for me.

Also, I got the terminology wrong (complete tunnel vision) and it turns out I had an ERPC
(Evacuation of Retained Products of Conception), which is a slightly different procedure to a D&C (Dilation & Curettage).

I am so sorry for your loss.

I woke up from the d&c the same way you did..the fear was gone, no pain, no real bleeding. I am glad you made the best decision for yourself. I had a natural miscarriage a couple of years earlier and was hospitalized- thought I was going to bleed to death. As awful as it was having a m/c again, the excellent job my doctor did with the procedure (as did your's) at least took that fear away.

Please take extra good care of yourself -- sending you lots of good wishes for the future.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cnewt116
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->