Walking Epidural?

ambertwogood

The Twogood's
Reaction score
I went to my Ob appointment today, GD came back fine. She did the swab for strep b and then checked me vaginally. I'm 34+ weeks and she said I'm dialated to 1 and baby is beginning to drop and engage. She plans on inducing me the beginning of February, and won't let me go past 39 weeks, but I didn't really get a good explanation as to why. Honestly, there isn't a "medical" reason for it, so I'm a little stumped. When I told her I didn't want an induction, BC I wanted to try to do it without an epidural, she strongly advised that I do the epidural but would support my not wanting one.....I wanted to labour in water....which I still can do even being induced, but not if I get the epidural. I'm just scared the pain will much worse BC of the induction and will make it harder to do WO an epidural. She suggested I get a "walking epidural"? I would still have use of my legs, be able to walk/move around, deliver in any position, etc. My question is does anyone know what this is, heard of it, or had one yourself and what was your experience?

Personally I wouldn't allow doctors to induce me for no reason. That is a lot of intervention so unless there was a medical reason I'd rather not get all those drugs pumped into me!

Your doctor sounds a lot like mine in terms of epidural, I didn't want one either so for #1 I just waited as long as possible to go to the hospital so they wouldn't pressure me into it. Worked for me.

Here with epidurals you can get a button to push to pump in more medication so if you don't push it you can move around but you need help in case you fall over. They still give you a catheter so you have to walk around with your pee bag :). I didn't have one but my friend did.

Stand your ground! She has to listen to you unless there is a medical or extrenely legit reason to go against your wishes .... Being induced is extra painful so ya ull want an epidural , which is a double whammy against your strong feelings :/ going natural would reduce the chances of you needing one so bad.... I have been induced twice and I'm so traumatized from the forced upon pains that I am going to beg to go over my DD til I labor naturally so I can go without the drugs this time too!immwith ya over here ....

Agree with others, there's got to be a good reason to be induced, not just because she wants to go on holidays or something.
And re the epidural, I've been induced twice with no pain relief whatsoever... it may not be necessary at all!

The closest thing I got as to an explaination was that I live 2 hrs away from delivery hospital, and had asked if I should leave earlier than what they normally recommended. She said no, id be fine its my first. Then this appointment she tells me she's going to induce me, BC of the distance? Doesn't make since to me....but valentines day was my dad, maybe she wants to make she can go out with hubby...lol. The baby is breech, but on isn't worried, said she would do a version if she didn't turn prior to my induction, like that morning. They had also been concerned about iugr, but she's 23% tile now, so I don't know, it makes NO sense....

I'm being induced in three hours!! I'm overdue, baby is big (95% tile but no GD) my belly is measuring 45 weeks! We'll see how big baby is soon but I'm small with a small frame currently weigh 168lbs of that only 22 is pregnancy weight gain. So I'm all baby!
I've been induced before and it wasn't an was decision to make each time.
Re epi- I don't want one either but I've left my options open by saying I want to wait as long as possible. Last time I had an epi it will controlled by doc but I had just enough meds to labor while still feeling contactions and pressure but not a whole lot of pain. It was shut off at transition so that I could feel to push. By the time labor and delivery was over i was able to walk and felt everything(meds wore off during pushing).
I'm hoping that if I cave this time too that I can get something similar. If I remember i will ask about the walking epidural.

I read up on the walking epidural and sounds a lot better than the regular one. I'm not completely opposed it. I always wanted options I was just scared that being induced would make it so painful I would def. Cave and always wonder if I could of made it if I hadn't of been induced....

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->