Want to exclusively breastfeed...

Great job! I just noticed you live in bc where are you located? I am in surrey. There is an awesome fb group called Vancouver/lower mainland badass breastfeeders. It is great for advice and support :)

Nice, I will check it out. I am in Langley so we are neighbours :)

Congrats on the weight gain! The only thing i can add is a little thing to think about regarding the pump. It is hard to get your body to let down for a pump and I would just bet out is even harder for you because you have that horrid hospital experience to associate with the pump. I think if you can train your body to associate the pump to your wonderful snugglie baby you will have easier results.
When I was trying to figure out the pumping thing with my DS2 I would feed him on one side and pump the other. Then when i switched him i would pump the first. This way i was able to pump when my body let down for the baby AND make my body think i had started feeding two babies! My supply went up up up in the days. Then i would pump after i fed him and eventually i could let down for the pump without him even needing to be ether.
With DS3 I have had to supplement pumped milk due to the fact that he would rather just sleep and sleep and it seems that my body remembered that pumps are good too because i hardly had to condition it. But sometimes it gets frustrating to have to pump and I wish I could just feed him at the breast. On the days i get super frustrated about that my pumping output goes waaay down. So try not to stress. (ya... I am rolling my eyes at me to.... Like any Mom struggling with breastfeeding can just not stress all easy peasy at a snap..) OK try to find a few more stress free moments.
Sounds like you are well on your way to being able to ebf anyway! But being able to pump is helpful imho

Congrats on the weight gain! The only thing i can add is a little thing to think about regarding the pump. It is hard to get your body to let down for a pump and I would just bet out is even harder for you because you have that horrid hospital experience to associate with the pump. I think if you can train your body to associate the pump to your wonderful snugglie baby you will have easier results.
When I was trying to figure out the pumping thing with my DS2 I would feed him on one side and pump the other. Then when i switched him i would pump the first. This way i was able to pump when my body let down for the baby AND make my body think i had started feeding two babies! My supply went up up up in the days. Then i would pump after i fed him and eventually i could let down for the pump without him even needing to be ether.
With DS3 I have had to supplement pumped milk due to the fact that he would rather just sleep and sleep and it seems that my body remembered that pumps are good too because i hardly had to condition it. But sometimes it gets frustrating to have to pump and I wish I could just feed him at the breast. On the days i get super frustrated about that my pumping output goes waaay down. So try not to stress. (ya... I am rolling my eyes at me to.... Like any Mom struggling with breastfeeding can just not stress all easy peasy at a snap..) OK try to find a few more stress free moments.
Sounds like you are well on your way to being able to ebf anyway! But being able to pump is helpful imho

Thank you. I will try that. I have tried looking at him while pumping and it doesn't work but maybe pumping while nursing is the trick. Because my one breast does tend to leak while he is feeding on the other one. Worth a shot! Thanks for the advice. Only one little problem I am going to have to try to figure out...my breasts are so large I have to use two hands to breast feed him. One to hold him and the other to hold my breast...might be able to figure it out though.

Only one little problem I am going to have to try to figure out...my breasts are so large I have to use two hands to breast feed him. One to hold him and the other to hold my breast...might be able to figure it out though.

Is this because you are using 'cross cradle' hold?
Not all positions are suitable for all breast sizes and shapes. Have you had support from a LLL (or similar) counsellor to try different feeding positions?Laid back or lying down can be good for larger breasts. If you are still most comfortable with sitting up positions, even something simple like rolling a muslin/washcloth in to a tube shape and tucking it under the breast can help support it (depending why you are holding it).

Only one little problem I am going to have to try to figure out...my breasts are so large I have to use two hands to breast feed him. One to hold him and the other to hold my breast...might be able to figure it out though.

Is this because you are using 'cross cradle' hold?
Not all positions are suitable for all breast sizes and shapes. Have you had support from a LLL (or similar) counsellor to try different feeding positions?Laid back or lying down can be good for larger breasts. If you are still most comfortable with sitting up positions, even something simple like rolling a muslin/washcloth in to a tube shape and tucking it under the breast can help support it (depending why you are holding it).

I use a reclined position that a lactation consultant recommended (sounds exactly like what you are suggesting). I actually use a small curved pillow to support the breast. It works well but I still need both hands because I have to hold my breast in a certain way so he can breathe and nurse. If I remove that hand he will break the latch immediately. I can't use cross cradle hold they were trying to get me to do that at the hospital and it is literally so difficult it is more or less impossible and resulted in many tears for both of us. No matter what I do I seem to almost always need both hands to nurse him...I suppose this is because of my breast shape and size.

[
If I remove that hand he will break the latch immediately. I can't use cross cradle hold they were trying to get me to do that at the hospital and it is literally so difficult it is more or less impossible and resulted in many tears for both of us. No matter what I do I seem to almost always need both hands to nurse him...I suppose this is because of my breast shape and size.

Cross cradle is so over recommended! It is popular in hospital recommendations because it is the easiest position for an outsider to observe the latch...because that's what's important right:wacko:

As he gets more alert and stronger it'll be easier for him to hold himself in a position where his nose is free from the breast tissue.

If you google diy hands free pumping you can find directions on how to use hair ties to tie the flange to your nursing bra so you don't have to hold it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->