Want to know more about natural parenting, but don't know where to start!

fuffyburra

Hattie Flower's mummy :)
Reaction score
It's something I'd really like to consider when we get round to having babies, so I thought I'd get some advice from the experts!

... That's you guys by the way :rofl:

Thanks in advance :) xx

Everything and anything really! All I really know so far is a very little about babywearing and cloth nappies. I'm really interested in babywearing so more about that I guess. Also how do cloth nappies reckon against normal ones, and what are the pros and cons? Anything you know! ^_^

well in honesty I'm not the best person to ask about babywearing, i only ever used 1 carrier and it was too late really a she didn't like it much.

As for cloth nappies, I have used both disposables and cloth. I started using cloth at 6 months and my only regret is that i didn't start sooner. They are a minefield when you come to them in the first instance but they do get easier once you understand the basics. For me it all made much more sense once I saw a 'real' cloth nappy. Check your council whether they offer a real nappy incentive scheme. A fair % of councils do and offers range from laundry service to £40 vouchers.

Hope that helps a bit?

Thanks that is really helpful, I know my mum used cloth nappies with myself and my twin, but obviously they've changed a bit since then!! :p Nice to know I could get some help with them too. Are they expensive? xx

Cloth nappies seem quite expensive because you pay out quite a bit all at once, but when you tot up what you'd spend on disposables, it is definitely the cheaper option! You can get birth to potty ones which last (oddly enough...) until potty training. If you have more babies, you can save even more. The only problem is, they can be quite addictive and you end up spending a bit more than you thought!

I've had 5 carriers, and my favourite by far is my mei-tai. It's very simple, pretty and compact and my LO adores it. It's worth trying on a few if you can to see which sort suits you.

they vary tbh it depends what you are looking for. If you are looking new a mid range branded one is about £15 but you can pay a bit less and much more :haha: customs (handmade) are popular but also can be costly. You can go down the preloved route too but it depends how you feel on that, you should approach preloveds with caution too IMO, leg elastics can be stretched, you don't know how much they've been used etc. Little forums like here are good for preloveds though, there's a bit more trust IYKWIM?

if you want to trial a sling if you pop in to a search engine 'sling meets' there's a site that tells you where your local meet and library is - normally at a sure start or other centre but they normally have a wide variety of slings to trial free of charge.

Thankyou so much guys, I've looked up some more stuff on nappies on tinternet, looks like I'll probably be going down that route :) And I think babywearing is definitely for me! This might be the stupidest question ever lol, so prepare yourselves! But do you babywear all the time, or just some of the time? xx

some do it all the time, infact there was a lady on here who never bought a pram and just carried her LO.

Thanks, I felt a bit silly asking that in case it was stoopid :p I guess nearer the time I'll know how often I want to do it. I just like to be prepared really! :p
Thanks again for all the help by the way! xx

the whole thing about natural parenting honey is following you instincts and doing what come naturally to u.

the common traits of this are things like breastfeeding, cloth nappying, babywearing and co-sleeping. we each do what we find comes naturally to us. you don't have to do it all but follow your own instincts.

I don't think I'd like co sleeping, just not for me. But then, as you say, it might just come naturally! :) Thanks everyone, given me some stuff to consider :) xx

i never thought co-sleeping was for me either. infact i never thought most of the things i do were for me...i've become the opposit type of parent to what i thought i would be! funny things happen when u have a child!?

i found this site really useful when it came to getting my head round cloth nappies: https://www.allaboutnappies.com/index.php
also lots of councils have a real nappies scheme- some offer money back on nappy purchases and some have kits u can borrow. My council does the kits and not the money back thing and it also has a group that meets up every month so u can go get advice and see different types of nappies...try googleing real nappy cheme and your council and see what u find.

Here some other sites u might find useful:

https://www.naturalparenting.com.au/
https://www.naturalchild.org/guest/laura_simeon.html

you might wanna research attachment parenting as well. it goes hand in hand with natural parenting...

https://www.askdrsears.com/html/10/T130300.asp - this is a good site 4 explaining the basics IMO

https://www.attachmentparenting.org/principles/principles.php

good luck x

Those links are great, thanks! I've bookmarked them all, so I know where they'll be when I need them :p xx

Read Imperfectly Natural Baby and Toddler by Janey-Lee Grace.

i have that book read it cover to cover thought it was really interesting - it has little pages from parents as well.

def check out this site for your loical sling meet where you can check out different types as well as get to meet some other mummies.
https://www.slingmeet.co.uk/forums/index.php

I babywear all the time, we bought a pram and in 7 wks its been used 4 times... and even those times he went out in the pram and came home in a carrier. :haha::haha:
I've got a baby bjorn which my OH uses as its more 'man friendly' and a babyhawk which i love!

Lol yeah I think OH would like something more "manly"! Thanks for link xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"