Wanting Food Not Bottles

Wobbles

BnB Co-Founder ~ Retired
Reaction score
Ok so Im seeing a pattern here I think ...Little moo seems to be ok with food on a spoon in fact loves it but isn't going too well with her bottles seems to take a 'drink' then give up! Today has been almost impossible to give her her bottle and she certainly hasn't had near 17oz thats the minimum needed daily!

Any ideas girls? :cry: I'm getting a lil stressed by it along side being utterly exhausted without fighting her to take a bottle!

End of day I can't force it down her for a start she'll just gargle it in discomfort & get upset!

hun. i'm having the same problem with my little one. Katrina is 6 months old and she seems to only want food nothing else. I tried to give her more milk but he doesn't want. i don't know if is because the change of milk or not, but i'm in the same situation.

Hmm not too sure, tho only thing i can think of is she's too full for a bottle or the teat isn't quick enough for her and she maybe gets bored of sucking for it (< a problem i have had recently)

If its because she is too full the only thing i could think is cut down on food but then again that isn't what you want, if you need to cut out food at all maybe try the snacks first ?? But not really sure maybe the others can help?? x x

I've not changed her milk ...its a worry though huh!

Kaci shes on fastest flow also I give her her milk before her foods I just give up and give her dinner etc or it will end up too late.

Colton did this ONCE. About a month ago.. I tried giving him a bottle and he would have none of it.. fed him his food and he ate the whole thing! He's never done it since though.. normally he will take his bottles pretty well.

have you tried giving her water to see if shell take that?

carly did this and since around 9 months she never took a bottle again. i went the the docs and showed him when she would of been hungry to proove it and she just wouldnt take it, tried this for a month and still didnt take.
so doc said dont try and force it anymore try and give her food that can have her milk with it. she still didnt really take but it was all i could do to give her abit of milk. :shrug:

but by 12 months she had cows milk and loved it so i think she must of not liked the taste of formula?? i dont know.

it prob wont happen to caitlin .. keep trying, if after awhile still hasnt take a trip to docs ;)

Have you tried giving it in a cup rather than a bottle? Might work?

callum is pretty much the same. he's still having a bottle before bed and one during the night but through the day he is not interested at all.

Ryan's the same too! Seems we're not alone. Ryan will have maybe 2 full 7oz bottles and he won't have any more than that. He's eating A LOT more than he used to. x

Lorri & Lauren do you mind me asking your for a rough draft of LOs menu what he has when etc My HV insists it MUST be at least 17oz a day!

Wanted to bump this for lorri and lauren in hope they see my question lol (I know you havent yet)

On another note this is getting worse rather than better. Im stuck what to do she clearly doesn't want it! Can't force her it will only cause her to be distressed!!

Have you spoken to the H.V?? Mite be able to help x

I was speaking to someone last night who said that this is so common when teeth are coming through - sucking on a bottle can make the teething pain worse, and some babies will refuse to take more than a few ounces of milk a day but are fine with their food. Can you mix as much milk as possible in with her meals so that you know she's getting a bit more? x

Have you tried her with a doidy cup? You should have been given one by your HV when Caitlyn was 6 months old.

Sometimes when babies refuse bottles you can trick them into taking milk by giving it them in a cup lol.

Otherwise, like sam's mum said, try mixing it in with her food. However, if she will take a drink of juice, or water but not a bottle of milk, do you think she could be too full? I know you give her her bottle before her dinner, but have you tried skipping dinner one day to see if she will take a bottle when she gets really hungry? And follow it up with 'pudding' if she still wants it?

I don't know how it works with bottle fed babies because it is different, I know that with breastfed babies milk is more important than food, and a baby can be exclusively breastfed right up until 12 months old if necessary. Probably different with bottle fed babies?

Good luck anyway, I hope you find something that works!

Kaci she insists on 17oz but we all know some HVs are too pushy and I find asking Mummies much more helpful before I see her. :D

Sams mum I was thinking this & have done it but theres only cereal and rusks to put baby milk in and that alone turns my stomach along side the fact rusks doesnt need much milk or its too watery.

Kaci she insists on 17oz but we all know some HVs are too pushy and I find asking Mummies much more helpful before I see her. :D

Sams mum I was thinking this & have done it but theres only cereal and rusks to put baby milk in and that alone turns my stomach along side the fact rusks doesnt need much milk or its too watery.

Do you give Caitlin jars or blended food? If blended, could you not just add some milk when you blend it up? :shrug:

Never seen or heard of those cups Tasha!

Juice - she doesn't take much juice and water but she gets her beaker anyway because she learns to hold it etc and is getting there certainly doesn't get it close to feed time - definately not a case of too full up she also has her bottle before foods so again defo not full-up. I wouldn't skip her food amd do bottle & pudding as its just as important for her to eat now at nearly 9 months.

Milk is as important to bottlefed babies as breastfed babies lol hence the minimum a day they need which is 17-20oz! No matter if bottle or breast they all need the same nutrients etc :D!!!

Jar - didn't like my cooking lol but has toast sarnies yogurts etc

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->