Wanting Food Not Bottles

Even if it's just a bit in cereal at least she'll be getting some - sounds horrible but you could mix some in with mashed potato or something?! And yogurts, cheese etc at least have some dairy in them. Have you tried teething gel before her bottles? 20 mins before or something, so if it is teething it might not be so uncomfortable for her...

Hope it gets better soon. Since I first saw this thread so many people have said they had simliar problems x

i was thinking about the gel - I have felt her gums and nothing obvious I am worried because hasn't babies nearly 9 months usually had first tooth by now? Think they are having trouble pushing up - is that even possible actually!

Seeing others the same eases me but its now a what to do etc regardless of what HV says like I mentioned I cant force her.

i was thinking about the gel - I have felt her gums and nothing obvious I am worried because hasn't babies nearly 9 months usually had first tooth by now? Think they are having trouble pushing up - is that even possible actually!

Seeing others the same eases me but its now a what to do etc regardless of what HV says like I mentioned I cant force her.

My nephew got his first tooth at 14 months - don't worry, she'll be getting them soon! (and then you'll wish she wasn't! lol)

I'm sure her teeth will come through soon - I wouldn't worry about it, but the pain starts before you can see them coming through the gums. I think it's probably best to just stay relaxed and keep trying...you're right not to force her if she won't take it. HVs are too quick to try anything to get babies doing what they think is 'normal'. A cup or something might be worth trying though - I hadn't seen those doidy cups either...wonder if we'll get one at 6 months x

Never seen or heard of those cups Tasha!

Juice - she doesn't take much juice and water but she gets her beaker anyway because she learns to hold it etc and is getting there certainly doesn't get it close to feed time - definately not a case of too full up she also has her bottle before foods so again defo not full-up. I wouldn't skip her food amd do bottle & pudding as its just as important for her to eat now at nearly 9 months.

Milk is as important to bottlefed babies as breastfed babies lol hence the minimum a day they need which is 17-20oz! No matter if bottle or breast they all need the same nutrients etc :D!!!

lol I know they need the same nutrients - my HV told me that if Anna didn't take to food I shouldn't worry because you can exclusively breastfeed babies up to a year? I think bottlefed babies need more food, though?

Good luck! I'd recommend a doidy - one of the girls at breastfeeding cafe switched to bottle at 5 months and her LO wouldn't take it, so her HV gave her a doidy early, and she took right to it. Hope you find something that works x

I'm sure her teeth will come through soon - I wouldn't worry about it, but the pain starts before you can see them coming through the gums. I think it's probably best to just stay relaxed and keep trying...you're right not to force her if she won't take it. HVs are too quick to try anything to get babies doing what they think is 'normal'. A cup or something might be worth trying though - I hadn't seen those doidy cups either...wonder if we'll get one at 6 months x

The health service is different in Wales, so Wobbles might not get given one. But at Sam's 6 month check you should be given a doidy, Lynn. If you don't get an appointment for a 6 month check, go to weigh in clinic and ask a HV about it x

The health service is different in Wales, so Wobbles might not get given one. But at Sam's 6 month check you should be given a doidy, Lynn. If you don't get an appointment for a 6 month check, go to weigh in clinic and ask a HV about it x

Thanks - I'll be taking him to be weighed at 6 months anyway so will ask about it then :D x

lol I know they need the same nutrients - my HV told me that if Anna didn't take to food I shouldn't worry because you can exclusively breastfeed babies up to a year? I think bottlefed babies need more food, though?

Good luck! I'd recommend a doidy - one of the girls at breastfeeding cafe switched to bottle at 5 months and her LO wouldn't take it, so her HV gave her a doidy early, and she took right to it. Hope you find something that works x

Didn't know how to word my reply - shattered after BBQ choas!

Babies should be on milk until 12 months then on to cows milk.

I'll look into one of them cups thank you.

I know the feeling wobbles: we had Dominic's sisters down all week, and then yesterday a big BBQ for all our family, as Anna's party - SHATTERED!

Only just read this.
:hugs: you're having such a hard time.

Kayleigh is older than moo, but she won't drink milk, even cows milk.

You can get packets of breakfast cereal mix from cow & gate etc. Kayleigh used to love baby porridge & museli, and you can mix it with formula ( we also mixed sachet of gaviscon in).

After lunch she will often have a yoghurt petit filous/ muller star.
As others have said try mixing food with milk or a little cheese. Both my girls used to love a little grated cheese mixed in with there lunch, or try little bits of cheese as finger food.

Again after tea, my little munchkin has another yoghurt (the supermarket offers are a god send).

If you're desparately worried about what she is getting, it may be worthwhile having chat with hv or even seeing about referal to dietician, who can mabe give ou somw guidance. We did with this gabriel whhen we discovered his allergies. He drinks v. little milk as it makes him very congested and we were concerned, but discussing things with dietician really helped, and put our minds at rest.

I hope you get somethinbg sorted. Try not to get too stressed if she won't take her bottle, even @ a young age, they know it winds you up so will do it all the more. If she won't take it just take it away. If she sees that you're not bothered if she doesn't have it the little minx may well decide to have it later.

Good luck.

How long has she been like that Caroline?

Well I've decided to drop a bottle & it didn't go well but that said it didn't go to plan lol Never does hey so another shot tomorrow.

Today she ha a full bottle in morning because I polished it with baby cereal then she had lunch and juice but thats where it went wrong it was late as she slept for ages today rather than 'nap' so the plan was bottle about 3pm but she took 2oz then bedtime 5oz

Old plan
bottle
brekkie/sometimes toast too
afternoon bottle
lunch & yogurt
Organic carrot stix as snack
Bottle
Dinner
Bed bottle

New plan
Bottle & cereal hoping to use all of that!
Lunch/yoggy
3pm bottle
Dinner/yoggy
Bedtime bottle

What kind of foods are you mixing cheese with? Cheddar cheese? Dairylea as good for sarnies?

x

I used to mix grated cheddar cheese in with pureed/ mashed veg.

Also use cheese sauce- cauliflower cheese, macaroni cheese, blende to whatever consistency.

Madame, gradually started dropping off her milk intake from 6 months, certainly by 10/ 11 months she was having only short breastfeed morning & night, & then @ 12 months was night only.

We thought that she'd start taking more milk @ 12 months when she could have cow's milk during day, rather than formula, but she just point blank refused it, & ended up giving her juice.

I do wonder though if her reluctance to drink milk is associated with her reflux, as I it may sit heavy on her stomach, as she always seems more sicky after dairy, eg yoghurt/ ice cream/ porridge.

I must admit if shes having yog/ porridge I mix gaviscon in to help keep it down. If I forget I'm chasing her with towel in hand, although she does get the towel herself now if she's sick & tries to clean up herself!

I think your new plan looks good. I often found I could use a good amount of millk in cereal.
Weetabix is good, but does make them "go" somewhat.
Kayleigh loved the Cow & Gate porridge mixes both the from 4 month & 6 or 9 month ones.
She also loves there toddler museli, but that is from 12 months.

As a treat I make the kids & OH proper porridge on a Sun morning & she loves this too ( but does need plenty of gaviscon in!)

If you do her mashed potatoe , you can mash with milk & cheese for a double whammy!

Will try & think of other stuff if you want later but time for bed for me now.

Only just got around to seeing this. This is our rough plan of what goes on in our regular day;

Wake up at 7-8am - Have breakfast, usually a cereal or fruit
11am - 4-7oz bottle and nap for about 20 mins
12.30 - lunch - a stage 2 jar followed by 2 petit filous (sometimes he'll have sticks of cheese or toast with his lunch)
2.30pm - 20 mins nap (will sometimes have a bottle at this time but he's been skipping it a lot)
5.30pm - dinner - a stage 2 savoury jar followed by a stage 2 dessert jar
7.30pm - bedtime - used to take a whole bottle, but will probably have about 4oz now if I'm lucky

Today, he's had hardly any milk. He does have teeth coming through though. Wobbles - Ryan only just got his first tooth, and I know that i didn't get mine until just after i turned 1 so it's not unusual for them to come a bit later. My friend's baby got his tooth just before Ryan got 1 (his baby is 4 months) and I started getting worried about Ryan not having any, but it came in time :) x

:dohh: I am such a bint, I've only just noticed this :dohh:

my 2 youngest, total nightmares :dohh: it both started around 6 months +, I blamed it on teeth because it got abit better after teeth were through. Joe never took a bottle from the age of 6 months to age 11 months :shock: no lie, not one drop! I had to syringe feed 20 oz's of milk into him :dohh: he got a tooth when he was 10 months and I tried tommee tippee back to nature bottles and he took it :wohoo: and didnt look back.

Her majesty miss Katie is as bad :roll: but I only had to syringe feed her for a few weeks!

Do this the next time you feed/try to feed Caitlin. Put one of her arms round your back, as if shes hugging you but make sure she cant get it out, their pesky little hands push the bottle away. Then give her something of yours to hold with the other hand, be it a wooden salt cellar, keys, old mobile; anything that she will be fasicinated in that isnt hers :lol:

then feed her. This is the only way I can get milk into madam :roll: when shes on a roll she can easily drink 8 oz's in 5 minutes and then its done :)

Katie still takes about 22 oz's but its hard bloody work.

Try this hun and let me know :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->