Wanting to do a fashion degree but I know parents wont be happy..

L

little_cookie

So I made a thread on here a few days ago about my next moves after college.

My parents want me to do medicine- and I have had a good think about it and i've realised it just isn't for me.

I love fashion- always have. I met up with an old friend today and she did a fashion degree at one of the top fashion colleges here in London and she has looked at some clothes I have made for myself and thinks I have real potential.

She has two children and is a single Mum as well and as a sideline is running her own business making baby clothes/accessories/gifts as well as college.

I would love to do the same but I know I will have to really convince my parents.

I know it might seem silly as it really is my decision- but I will be relying on them to help a lot.

They may be disappointed at first, my friend went through a similar thing. They wanted him to get a science degree as he was really good at it but he just wanted to join the RAF. Eventually they were on board and he went to the RAF. Unfortunately he got seriously injured whilst training and is now back at college doing more A Levels so he can go to university for a business degree. Still not what his parents wanted. Anyway, like I said they may be disappointed at first but I'm sure they will support you. Try to build your argument before you speak to them, what you think you will get out of fashion that you won't get out of medicine etc, so they know you are serious about it and that you've thought about it properly.

And good luck x

Ultimately it's your decision. First of all, is this a lifelong dream or something you just thought about? Not a bad thing if you've only just starting thinking about it but its a tough industry - you've got no chance if you don't really desperately passionately want to suceed.

As a parent my worry would be how hard it is to get into fashion - any creative industry is incredibly competitive and even very very talented people can struggle to get a foot on the ladder. I work in the industry (technical sportswear rather than high fashion but there's a lot of overlap in terms of uni degrees and moving between jobs) and I know how many applications we get for one internship. That said I love my job and you should absolutely take a path you will be happy with. I'm not trying to deter you, only prepare you. Look into courses - how long do they take, how much will it cost, how many applications vs places, how many graduates get into the industry in the first year after graduating, what does your portfolio neeed to look like etc. Get all the facts before you speak to your parents so they can understand you're serious.

It's your future and your life - the decision HAS to be yours. Your parents' can disagree with your choice but I doubt they are going to write you off or refuse to lend a helping hand. If you've really come to the decision this is what you want then go for it - nothing should hold you back from obtaining your dreams.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ashhmichelle
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->