warning baby jars poor labeling

k8y

Reaction score
I went to a weaning group yesterday and was shocked at the answer to one of my questions. I was scanning at the jars of baby food in tesco for some emergency jars to keep in the house, and notice some of them said stage one 4-6 months but contained things that I had been told James couldnt have till he was 6 months aparently there has been an ongoing court battle for years to try and change the labelling, but the weaning lady says they are not to have these things at all ...

for example.

cow and gate stage one 4-6 months

grandpas sunday lunch - 10% chicken

beef casserole - 10% beef

first bolognaise -10% beef

cauliflour cheese - 8% cheese

creamed cottage pie - 10% beef

orchard chicken - 10% chicken

there was a strawberries and cream one aswell when they cant have strawberries or cream !

Just a warning to be carefull if you buy jars for your little one because just because it says it's ok on the label thats not always the case, check the label carefully for ingredients.

oh i brought loads of these on offer :dohh: ready for when we wean

Oh that's odd and very worrying. I have some Organix Strawberry and apple puree which says 4 months on it. Oh dear, conflicting information for us mums yet again. Who are we meant to trust?

Why can't they have chicken, beef and cheese? Amelie has had strawberries since 5 months too :shock:

Didnt do my 1st son any harm he's just fine,it is worrying but am sure they wouldnt sell them would they if they werent to have them????

i've used all of them :shrug:
i switched from cow and gate to hipp
just because she prefers them but
i've used those jars before ...

she's fine :shrug:

I use the plum ones because we are veggie and there did seem to be an awful lot of cow and gate ones that have meat in. Also the yoghurt pee me off because there are ALWAYS strawberry ones in thepack :dohh:

I use the plum ones because we are veggie and there did seem to be an awful lot of cow and gate ones that have meat in. Also the yoghurt pee me off because there are ALWAYS strawberry ones in thepack :dohh:

Hipp are good for veggie bubbas.
Plus Boots (own brand) organic have quite a few different veggie jars :thumbup: xxx

luisa has cow and gate strawberry and banana porridge...

Didnt do my 1st son any harm he's just fine,it is worrying but am sure they wouldnt sell them would they if they werent to have them????

Babies arent supposed to have meat or dairy before 6 months so they could cause harm. I really wouldnt put that much faith into the manufacturers.

Surely if you've stocked up, you could just use them after 6 months...? Jars seem to have very long use by dates on them...

Babies arent supposed to have meat or dairy before 6 months so they could cause harm. I really wouldnt put that much faith into the manufacturers.

They aren't supposed to be weaned till 6months but most of us still wean before then.

Not supposed to have dairy before 6months?:dohh: what do you think milk is?

Most things that are to be "avoided" till later on are because of possible allergy/intollerance links but if you have no allergies/food intolerances in the family then the risks are minimal.

They should really be labelled as only suitable from six months to be in accordance with the recommendations it's just that there hasn't been a change in the law yet.

They should really be labelled as only suitable from six months to be in accordance with the recommendations it's just that there hasn't been a change in the law yet.

The weaning lady said that there has been a big court battle for years to get better labelling, most people assume that if it says from around four months then, that is what it means. The weaning talk was great. She aslo said to watch out for the ingredients list on food, she said that the banana porridge for example contains added sugar, this is prob to make it sweeter so baby likes it more whereas the plain one has none, so might be better to do the plain one and add your own 'nana, still naturally sweet without the added sugar.

alys has had the cow and gate ones since 5mnths ish, and loves grandpas sunday lunch! its her fave :)

now shes nearly 7mnths anyways so theres not much i can do about it :)

xxx

Huh babies are not suposed to have strawberries???

I went to a weaning talk IMO over cautious and meant to cause parents paranioa at best.... I use jars quite alot.... baaaad mummy in there opinion, to quote 'jars are just baby junk food' :dohh:

from what i found with maddi, who was weaned at 6.5months, and has an allergy to potato was to introduce new foods slowly, what ever you decide to give your child, i would introduce one food at a time, to help you identify if there is a problem with a certain food.

I never give jars that contain meat or fish anyway,but my twins had Ellas Kitchen strawbery puree the other day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->