Was this GP appointment adequate?

noon_child

Reaction score
For about three months now I've been having breast pain (a dull ache through the left and lower side of my left breast). It happened at first just when I took off my bra at night, and it's not like that's never happened before, and after about a week went back to normal and I forgot about it. then the same thing happened a few weeks later. The third time it happened I thought "Oh is it hormonal as it is coming and going" but I don't have a cycle (merina coil) to compare it to so thought I'd wait to see how long it took to go away. Only it didn't go away, it lasted three weeks before I booked a doctors appointment because it had started to ache throughout the day (not badly so never bothered with painkillers but it was there) and hurt if my DH squeezed it. Of course my appointment wasn't for another week after that (which makes 4 weeks pain)...in fact it was this afternoon.

Only problem is that yesterday my pain disappeared. When I told the doctor this she said "Oh well that's OK then." as if I shouldn't have bothered coming. I said I was worried it might come back again like before and so she offered to examine me if I wanted. I said yes please as it would be pointless to have to arrange another appointment later. She then gave me the most cursory breast exam ever (I've had one before and it felt like it took ages) it must have been over in less than 30 seconds. She didn't examine up to my collar bone or under my armpit (which granted is not where the pain was coming from but she never actually asked me exactly where the pain was!) which I would expect from a breast exam, she just rolled it maybe three times between her palms (having done the same to my pain free breast for comparison).

As I was getting dressed she answered her phone and had a conversation about whether she could cover some other clinic next week. It was a work call but she didn't even say "I'm with a patient right now" I finished dressing and I just stood there not sure if I should just leave or whether I needed to stay incase she wanted to tell me anything.

The whole thing just made me feel tearful and I don't even know why.

I know the way I have phrased this post shows that I'm upset so a lot of you are going to be on my side and say she was out of order etc. but I really do want honest opinions about, given my symptoms, whether she asked enough questions and examined me enough.

No she didn't do enough. That's honest. Just because symptoms aren't present that day doesn't mean something isn't wrong. Through out most of my life I have had to fight with docs to actually figure out what is wrong. It may be the same with you. Either find someone else who will take you seriously or go back in demanding that this be looked at in depth. Sorry about the pain you have been feeling. Good luck to you. Hope you get answers soon.

Hi. I think that if she didn't even ask you any specific questions about where the pain was, or what type of pain it is, then she was not thorough enough. Just because the pain was not there right then, does not mean that it shouldn't be checked properly. I have had problems with a lot of GPs not giving enough attention to what I say, or to specific symptoms. Is there a different doctor you could see instead? If my usual GP is not available for an appointment, and I am worried/unsatisfied with what another GP has said, then I will go back and ask for a different doctor.

Hi. I think that if she didn't even ask you any specific questions about where the pain was, or what type of pain it is, then she was not thorough enough. Just because the pain was not there right then, does not mean that it shouldn't be checked properly. I have had problems with a lot of GPs not giving enough attention to what I say, or to specific symptoms. Is there a different doctor you could see instead? If my usual GP is not available for an appointment, and I am worried/unsatisfied with what another GP has said, then I will go back and ask for a different doctor.

I never seem to see the same doctor twice! This one is new. She is the only female doctor, and runs one afternoon clinic a week (and I think she does the same at other surgeries on diff days - the gist I got from her phone call:haha:). I've had issues with the lack of permanent docs, and lack of appointments, at this surgery in the past but as it is over the road from me I wanted to stay with them. However there is space at a diff surgery that offers 8am - 8pm appointments 7 days a week, so I'm starting to think the drive over there would be worth it and I should just register there instead!

Ah okay, that doesn't sound great about not being able to get a permanent doctor. Is the other doctors far away? I think it might be worth changing to them :)

I would go back and see another doctor even a male doc, as it a breast issue you should be referred. Good luck

The nhs is useless, I hate doctors they don't know anything these days

My Step-MIL-to-be went to the dr last week because she had found a lump under her arm - and the dr didn't even examine her, and just prescribed antibiotics!!!!!! She has been really worried, and didn't feel this appointment was adequate, so she made an appointment with another doctor, and he did a thorough examination and has referred her - he was disgusted that she had not even been examined the first time. So I think you should go back, even though you were examined, because that examination doesn't sound enough to me.

It may be nothing, but the thing is, it would only be a short while of the doctor's time for you to go back, and it may be something that needs to be investigated further. If it's nothing, then that's great, but if it IS something, it's important that it's investigated. Better to be safe than sorry with something like this. xxxxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->