Washing nappies

colsy

Mummy to 2 li'l pudd'ns
Reaction score
We are dry-pailing, so simply collecting dirty nappies, wraps and liners in a bucket in which we've dropped a few drops of teatree oil. Once the bucket is full (usually a bit less than every two days), we simply chuck the entire contents in the washing machine, put on a rinse cycle, and then put on a full wash cycle at 60 degrees C.

Monty's poos are very fluid so washing the "solid" bits out by hand really isn't possible. However, each time I chuck all those pooey nappies in the machine, something in me thinks that maybe this really isn't the right thing to do. Am I missing something? Should I be adding another step into the whole equation? It just feels wrong putting poo in the washing machine!

I've heard about the idea of rinsing the liners in the toilet, but to me that is pretty horrible, as surely that adds even more bacteria into the nappies?

Your thoughts are appreciated. Thanks! xx

Ive tried the odd cloth bum on Noah (will be using them all the time when his thrush clears) I rinsed the liners (run water on them with a bucket underneath to catch the poo/water and this was tipped in the toilet) then washed them as per nappy instructions.

What nappies are you using? (just curious what people use)

What nappies are you using? (just curious what people use)

Currently using Bambino Mio, but we have Tots Bots to move into once Monty reaches the next size up. We also have more Bambino Mio and some Kooshies (or do I mean Tooshies?) for the next size up.

xx

I rinse out the pooey nappies in the bathroom sink (I know, it's pretty gross) then clean the sink! I've also recently acquired a second nappy bucket so I keep the wet and dirty nappies separate. I dry pail the wet ones and wet pail the dirty. That gives them a good soak and even though I rinse them first in the sink, any leftover poo kind of floats to the top. I pour the water down the loo, then chuck both lots of nappies into the washing machine. Could that be an option for you? It would get some of the poo out before it goes in the wash. That said, I really don't think there's any problem putting newborn poo in the washing machine as it's so liquid.

About the loo, as long as your toilet isn't dirty, I don't think it's bad to rinse nappies down there... the nappy is probably dirtier than the loo!

I rinse in the bathroom sink too :blush: There are endless milton products arpund the sink thouygh, and I really clean it well after each poo! :rofl: xx

I rinse off in the bathroom sink too. Easy as its opposite Imis room :D

I think our sink is probably cleaner than it's ever been before actually cos it now gets at least a daily clean, whereas before, well I wouldn't like to admit how rarely I cleaned it :blush:

Thats a good idea about having 2 buckets and soaking the dirty nappies and not soaking the wet ones, Someone on here also once said they just rinsed with the shower head...guess its all the same as long as its cleaned afterwards!

When Freya was younger I used to rinse them in the toilet, I didn't think it was a mucky thing to do, lol, obviously the toilet was clean, I just used to hold the fleece liner under the flushing water, it didn't actually touch the water at the bottom. Used to get it all off. Guess it's the same as doing it under the tap. Toilet flushing water is meant to be quite clean anyway isn't it? :)

Hi, I'm new and thought I'd jump in. I rinsed mine in the toilet (holding by a corner, swishing and putting in a pail) or just put them in the washer, but there's also a hose you can buy that attaches to the piping on the toilet that lets you spray it off there. It's supposed to be easily installed and cheap but I don't know if it's true. I don't know the name either, but I've seen them advertised a lot.

Alicia

yeh ive heard of them too but they are expensive i think

i use the shower, ive heard that u need a power shower for it to work but i just use one of the ones u attach to the taps and it works fine, i never quite got the hang of rinsing in the toilet, i just couldnt get all the poo off lol, so i do it in the bath, either with the taps or with the attached shower

we do have a power shower but its right up the other end of the bath and behind a shower door which is really hard to move, oh plus its recently been condemned cos its all leaking through the electric part :dohh:

x

I unscrew the shower head from the hose, hold my thumb over and turn the cold tap on full to spray my nappies - water shoots out at high pressure. It can be messy, but my bath has never been cleaner. :rofl: I've rinsed in the loo as well before sticking the shower on them, when there is a horrendous amount to clean off, just to get the bulk out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->