Water birth on a budget

hannpin

Mummy
Reaction score
Hello loverly ladies.

As the title suggest I am considering birthing at home, but really want a water birth. I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions on how I can do this on a budget.

I have been looking on ebay etc, and I am only able to spend around £50 on the whole kit. I am ok about having preloved, as I would steralise, or buy a new liner etc.

I wondered if there was any specific website, or place where ppl sell birthing pools or is it just luck of the draw in finding a bargain.

TIA xxx :flower:

i got my "pool in a box" off ebay for about £50 (it was just the pool nothing else) i was told by other ladies at a home birthing group i attend that preloved is fine and i got some great money saving tips on the extras i need like

instead of the pool in a box pool liner (£24) B&Q plastic dust sheet £2.89
old towels and an argos value shower curtain (£1.99) for next to pool for getting out without wetting the floor or worrying about getting bloody
cheap plastic pool thermometer B&Q £1.00
hose pipe to fill pool (again can be picked up cheap if you buy a lenght of piping instead of a full garden hose from B&Q (i have filled mine using pans took about an hour but meant no hose needed)

so in total its cost me about £56

and i know i will get about £50 back on the pool afterwards as i will out it back on ebay (after i have the next one)

hope that helps xx

Thanks Karla, great tips.

Did the dust sheet stay in the pool ok, I would be scared of it slipping or not fitting propperly iykwim.

durrrhhh just realised you are 39 weeks, so u have prob not used the pool yet :dohh: Ignore my dullness :)

the dust sheet is massive and my pool is filled half full (just needs hot water to get it to temp when the time comes. the sheet is that big it covers all the inside plus all down the sides and is tucked in underneath the outside of the pool so it wont be moving anywhere

Definatley keep a close eye on ebay...i hunted out specifically for an Aquaborn pool and managed to get one complete with air pump, water pump, hose and storage bag for £43 (and £13 posted).
Have a look out for auctions that say "pickup only" and ask if they would be willing to post....i found a good majority will even though they have listed otherwise.

Whereabouts are you? (I can see your thingy says "Wales")

I got mine second hand for about £40 ish.... so it is possible!

If you are having a doula, sometimes they have one that they will loan to you (no extra charge). (I do!)

Good luck, hope it all goes well! :)

Thanks for the idea Madasa, but unfortunatly I cant afford the support of a doula. I am south Powys, so I dont know if u know about the powys midwifery support. But Brecon birth centre have a small team of midwifes who are used to attending home water births, so I am quite sure they will be great support.

I will def keep an eye out on ebay. Thanks ladies xx

Have you tried Gumtree? There were a few pools on that when I looked last.

I just found this link for you,
not sure if its any help??
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bassine-...regnancy_MJ&hash=item4ab617968f#ht_500wt_1156
xox

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Birth-Po...egnancy_MJ&hash=item1c25bbb026#ht_4139wt_1270

I'm Aussie so these prices are all in Australian $$

We had very little money with our first homebirth. We sold our only car to pay the indepencent midwives and we had to pretty much come up with the rest out of our food budget.

Kids wading pool (Toys-R-Us deluxe aquarium) AUD$60
Short legnth of garden hose (hardware store) AUD$3
Universal joint for the kitchen tap (hardware store) AUD$12

We didn't use a pump to blow it up - my hubby did that by mouth and it took him around 20 minutes with breaks.
We didn't use a pump to empty it but my hubby did that with buckets and it took him around 10 minutes.
We didn't worry about a liner for the pool but just cleaned it.

Our only other expenses for the baby were second hand clothes, cloth nappies and a baby sling.

Thaks so much for your help ladies. I am currently on the ebay hunt, been outbid on all so far, but I figured I have a few weeks to get myself a bargain yet :)

I just bought a seond hand one from

https://www.waterbabybirthingpoolhire.co.uk/Second-Hand-Pools---Shop.html

She had it out on next day delivery for me, and it was really cheap! I already have a hose pipe, just got to buy a tap connector, and a liner (thinking about using a plastic sheet as suggested on this thread) got a pump from argos

Hope you get everything you need!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Birth-Po...itu=UCC&otn=5&ps=63&clkid=7680017744312048369

saw that a while ago

is the proud owner of a birth pool in a box eco mini :happydance:

Fab to hear that you got one :thumbup:

Just in case anyone else is after one def def def look on Gumtree. I tried to sell mine on there for ages but had no interest finally put it on ebay for more money to cover ebay charges and it sold straight away. Things on Gumtree tend to be cheaper cos its free to list on there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->