• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Water Birth

Jencocoa

Reaction score
Hoping for a water birth. It will be at a hospital with a midwife. We hoped with the first two, but their heart rates dropped due to cord issues and they would not allow me. Anyone experienced anything similar? Any tips for water birth?

My first labour was closely monitored due to growth problems, which I was glad of as my daughter's heart rate dropped suddenly and I needed an episiotomy to get her out quickly.

My second pregnancy was a breeze in comparison, so I was free to go to the midwife-led unit instead (though it is attached to the main hospital meaning you can be easily transferred if necessary - probably wouldn't have been happy otherwise given my first experience of labour). I hadn't really though of a water birth, but when the midwife suggested it I though I would give it a try. I loved it! It felt so much more natural than being trapped on a bed because they had to monitor the baby - the midwives just let me get on with it, and the water helped so much with the pain. It felt more private than my first labour even though there were the same amount of people there - they just weren't staring up the business end the same! :haha: and I was fit to have gas and air again while in the water, as I find focusing on controlling my breathing with it really helps me to keep my body as relaxed as possible during labour.

Totally recommend a water birth and will aim for it again with the next 1! :thumbup:

I had a hospital waterbirth after having a hospital bed birth with my 1st- his heart rate kept dropping too and I had to be on my back because that was the only way they could get an accurate reading with the monitor. My water birth was fab. I had monitoring every 10 minutes or so to check her heart rate was OK and had some monitoring on me (high risk pregnancy) but other than that I was able to just get on with it. No specific tips, just relax and enjoy it :)

I had a hospital waterbirth and it was incredible (yes painful, but an amazing experience all the same and I'm sure the water helped).

Remember to drink a lot as the warm water can dehydrate you quicker - I got hubby to offer me a drink of lucozade from a straw every 5 mins or so (that way he can hold it for you). I found music very relaxing too, and had a classical playlist prepared for when I went in.

Also - and this isnt advice for the birth but thought I'd say it anyway - if you are comfortable with it ask the midwife to take a photo of you and baby (+hubby?) when the baby is on your chest in the pool just after the birth. When I look at it my photo still makes me cry as it is the single most incredible and emotional moment of my life. Good luck!

I had a hosp birth with my first and ended with episiotomy and forceps bc of distress. My second was an easy and straightforward waterbirth - highly recommend it :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kayzee94
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->