Waterbirth - logistics of leaving cord attached until placenta is delivered

sue_88

Reaction score
Hi All :flower:

I am planning a home water birth and have just been thinking about my preferneces for labour and birth when my girl decides to make an appearance.

I would like to leave the cord attached to the placenta until the placenta has been birthed and therefore all the blood has gone back to the baby, however I have just been thinking about when I am in the water and had the baby the midwives usually want the mother to get out to deliver the placenta (to monitor blood loss / placenta completeness etc).

Is it possible to get out of the pool with baby and cord still attached to me, and sit down to then deliver the placenta on dry land? I'd obviously have lots of help to get out but just seems like it would be a bit of a juggle?

What do you think? HELP! I do not want my babies cord cut beforehand!

I had delayed cord cuttin but not after placenta delivery. I had to get out of the pool to deliver placenta but i think you can delivery whilst in the pool, the midwives didnt seem to rush me and i was pushing in the pool trying to deliver. The pool i bought is inflatable and the top ring deflates, what pool do you have? I think with assistance of hubby and 2 midwives you will have no problems if you have to get out of the pool just make sure you step out onto a towel not just the plastic sheeting.

Hmm, im not sure but ive planned the exact same as you so I'll be stalking this now!!

I've just bought the Regular Birth pool in a box so it's got the 3 chamber design.

I'm definitely not sure about them letting you deliver the placenta in the water......for a waterbirth in the hospital this was a definite no no because they can't measure blood loss, but to be honest I actually haven't mentioned this to my own community midwives yet.

I don't have an OH so for the birth would be me and 2 midwives (and possibly a student)....but my dad should be in the next room so he could always come in and help get me out.

hey hun, popping over as requested :D

I also had delayed cord cutting (nice bonus i didn't expect as hadn't done the research last time!), but the placenta was also delivered after i'd got out the pool and his cord got cut beforehand. tbh i'd have found it quite difficult to get out the pool with him still attached as i was physically shaking etc from the exhaustion of giving birth, but it prob is possible.

Once the cords stopped pulsating i thought baby had all the blood from the placenta they were going to get anyway? if that's right are there further benefits of getting the placenta out before cutting the cord too?

I'm not sure whether there are massive additional benefits but the placenta keeps working when the baby is born and delayed cord clamping is usually about 5 minutes. I just think this isn't long enough to ensure that the placenta organ has fully completed it's job and I want it to come out with baby (albeit slightly after) as it is her life organ and once it is birthed it then provides no function but whilst it's attached to/inside of me it does? If that makes sense.

I think I will have to have a chat to my midwives about it, the thought of cutting the cord before the placenta is birthed is actually a little upsetting to me as I have my heart set on the other way, I think I'll need to know if it's really impossible to get out and if so I need to change my mind around that it will be best for Millie to cut it beforehand.

Of course, at the time I will do what is best for baby but I would like to aim for my preferneces - if they are possible.

My cord wasnt clamped an cut for around 15-20 mins while me and baby had skin to skin in the pool. I def think it would be pos to get out the pool if you deflate the top ring, you can hold baby and have a midwife on each arm, certainly possible.

Yeah that is totally fine, I do it all the time. Just have good support getting out of the pool. It is better to be out of the pool to deliver placenta for the reasons you said bit you can definately stay attached, just let them know the plan before. I plan to do the same x

As long as you have a average length cord getting out still attached shouldnt be a problem. I think sometimes if you have a short cord it can be a bit of a palaver moving around.

I gave birth on my hands and knees with Willow so had to shuffle round onto my back to hold her then geton my knees to deliver it. It took a bit of maneuvering but was ok.

Thanks MrsSmartie! That's really made me feel a little happier that I won't feel stupid approaching the subject with my MW.

I'm definitely hoping it can happen this way!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->