Waterbirth?

Waiting4bb

Two march babies <3
Reaction score
I'm wondering the pros and cons of having a water birth. I live in Montana and I'm due in Jan/Feb so it's going to be very cold. Sometimes it gets into the -20's. I don't know if there is a way to keep water warm for very long in a tub or pool. I have heard that being in a tub can really help ease contractions which I'm all for. :) Any thoughts?

Hannah :)

you can get heaters and heated pools but with an inflatable u just bucket water out and replace it with hot

You'll be birthing in your house though won't you... and your house will be warm? as Lynn says, you can hire pools with internal heaters, or you can purchase internal heaters, or just bucket warm water in and out as you need it. Thats what i did and it worked well - gave my OH a job to do too. x

One of the pros is that it is supposed to quicken labour, the downside being that the pain will be stronger due to it being quicker!

I guess if your bath tub was big enouigh you could do it in there, easier to replace/ fill up with water? But the pool is usually recommended as you czan lean ont he sides better

Actually, one of the cons is that it can slow labour down, for example if you get in too soon.

Pros
- gentler transition for baby (who has been in water for the last 9 months)
- helps you relax, which makes it much more comfortable. (Some women find it almost/as effective as an epidural. I found it about 75-80% effective in terms of relief.)
- increases blood flow (and oxygen) to your uterus, helping it work for efficiently and comfortably
- increases blood flow to your baby
- eases the sting of crowning
- lowers the risk of tears/serious tears
- gives the mother a sense of privacy... The water is like a safe, private bubble where no one can easily see or touch her or her baby

Cons
- The soothing effect did wear off after a while
- Someone has to be keeping an eye on the temperature so that the water doesn't get too cool
- There may be more but I can't think of any more right now :)

My water birth was lovely, I'd love to do it again :)

Yeah I'll be inside and we have a nice woodstove. I was thinking of just doing it in the tub if that is big enough. I like the idea of a pool to move around in though. It sounds wonderful. It might be too hard to keep it warm without being in the tub. Thank you all for your advice. :)

Best thing i ever chose was a water birth!!!! Its natures epidural :flower:
if you want to read about my experience its in my siggy :thumbup:

Your waterbirth story is wonderful! It gives me so much inspiration for when it's my turn!!

Your waterbirth story is wonderful! It gives me so much inspiration for when it's my turn!!

aww thank you!
Water was so awesome and I knew i wanted a waterbirth, it was the only way i could EVER envision giving birth, and plus having a baby back to back, it was so helpful!!! to me there really arn't any "cons" to a waterbirth. I loved having it and i am gonna have another with this little one too. I know some ppl would disagree, but that is my honest opinion :flower: ...just hope this time baby is not sunny side up and it doesn't last 30 hours :haha:

My WB story is in my siggy too - saturate yourself with positive stories, that way you can go into labour happy and confident, which means it's much more likely to be a positive experience for you. Good luck :)

My WB story is in my siggy too - saturate yourself with positive stories, that way you can go into labour happy and confident, which means it's much more likely to be a positive experience for you. Good luck :)

Awesome story! I've been doing exactly that. Reading lots and lots of positive birth stories to gear myself up. I read Ina May's Guide to Midwifery and there are some incredible stories in there. So often women expect to feel the pain and that is all they focus on. Rarely anyone focuses on the joy and elation of giving birth, the intimacy of it all. A lot of people don't understand the concept of homebirth either. They think if you don't do it in the hospital it's too dangerous. One of the biggest things I learned from reading that book is women are built to give birth. Your body is wise and knows exactly what to do to get that baby out. Without drugs or doctors. Granted there are some situations where going to the hospital is inevitable, but it suprises me more women don't want to do it all natural.

Thank you! You've got a great mindset and a really good chance of having a lovely birth :)

Baby born in the caul in water and left in the water for AAGGEESSS

https://www.youtube.com/verify_age?...utube.com/watch?v=tc7PNNR1tRo&feature=related

The only con I found with my water birth was that my mum couldn't reach over to rub my back properly :rofl:

Although there is always the option for someone to get in with you that wasn't what I wanted.. It was honestly the best experience in my life.. I had my DD at a hospital so I had the MW to keep an eye on the waters temperature for me. I didn't have any pain relief and didn't feel like I needed any once I got in the pool because the water is just so relaxing. If I ever have any more children I will out right REFUSE to give birth on dry land.. I just can't imagine giving birth if it's not in water.. If you have any specific questions you want to ask feel free to PM me :)

Oh another con was standing up after DD had arrived.. I almost toppled over because I wasn't expecting myself to be so light:rofl:... Also getting out with cord hanging out you're vagina isn't the most attractive of images :haha:

Right on! It's so good to hear your story. :) I love it!! Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->