Watered down juice ??

Natty_babez

Alexa-Jayne & Daisy-Mae
Reaction score
At what age can I give my baby juice in her water but really watered down ? My baby is 6 weeks old 2moro n hates plain water so was wondering whether it's safe to add a teaspoon of juice to her water just to give it more of a taste, with the weather being so warm at the moment it worries me that she might get dehydrated

xxx

Why are you giving a 6 week old water?
A 6 week old doesn't need water, even in warm weather.. Breastmilk or formula is enough, water is not good for your baby at this age.

Your LO wont become dehydrated hun aslong as shes taking her feeds. I wouldnt give a baby anything other than milk. water should only be given in cases of bad constipation.

<3

She is a really hungry baby n my health visitor has said to give her cool boiled water between feeds

xxx

i wouldn't give juice at that age. milk is enough.

I recommend getting a 2nd opinion from a pediatrician.

A baby at 6 weeks old is going through growth spurts/cluster feedings and needs milk when she wants it, not water to hold her off! TBH I'm shocked at your HV's advice. A 6 week old does not require water let alone juice!

She is a really hungry baby n my health visitor has said to give her cool boiled water between feeds

xxx

I wouldnt listen personally. a baby gets all its nutrient and calories from milk, if they fill up on water its just empty calories.

<3

BF or FF? A breastfed baby doesn't need any water. My understanding is also that it's only necessary with formula feeding if the baby is constipated, but I'm not sure since I didn't FF when my LO was that age (she is FF now, but was already having water by the time we switched at 7 months).

Regarding juice, NHS suggests after 6 months you can give but it should be watered down (at the most 1 part in 10 of juice to water). However, my dentist said to avoid, even if very diluted, for as long as you can and till at least 1 year in his opinion. My daughter never had water before 6 months and still hasn't had juice (even watered down), she is 11 months.

xxx

Second what the others say: ask a different HV. Water isn't nutritional. If your baby is hungry I would offer more milk feeds at this age not water. I know some people who have giving cooled water between feeds to "settle" their baby. I think it's considered a bit of an old fashioned thing to do. But never to give to a baby because they are hungry.

I have given my little boy cooled boiled down water since about 6 weeks, never did him any harm. Since he was 12 weeks I was giving him baby juice it was already diluted but I did dilute it even more (1oz juice to 4oz water). If you want to give your baby water then do so, only you can judge if it is doing them any harm or not. xxx

My HV only recommended water if lo was constipated.

I spoke to my doctor last week regarding lo not taking much water (at nearly 8 months) and was told it's not a major issue as they receive enough liquid via his formula.

According to my health visitor she gained to much weight n would easily take 10oz before bedtime n keep it all down so they said it was wrong to give her so now she's having 6oz every 4 hours n not before n told to give water inbetween n this has been said by atleast 2 health visitors now.

What harm can it do to her coz now I'm worried !!

Xxx

According to my health visitor she gained to much weight n would easily take 10oz before bedtime n keep it all down so they said it was wrong to give her so now she's having 6oz every 4 hours n not before n told to give water inbetween n this has been said by atleast 2 health visitors now.

Xxx

Water alone won't do harm. the worry is that it contains no nutrients so if your baby is filling up on water then they don't get enough milk and don't gain weight. Obviously, this isn't appropriate in your case! I don't know now that you've said she is gaining "too much", I always just fed on demand when my LO was hungry. Sorry I can't be more help. (But I still wouldn't give juice at such a young age, even diluted).

Xxx

don't worry :hugs:

water is fine but i'm surprised your HV said she is gaining too much at 6 weeks. what does she weigh??? My HV told me babies of this age can't over feed. i can understand your confusion though. everyone seems to give different advise. so hard to know:shrug:

I would not give juice at your LOs age, she is still very young.

Harrison was a very hungry baby in those early days, he would feed none stop. I gave him water and it did him no harm, he never lost any weight.

Do whatever you feel is best, but avoid the juice.

Xxx

:hugs: don't think anyone wanted to worry you. Usually don't feed water as they fill up and miss on nutrients in milk. As this isn't the case for your lo water is fine. Every baby is different.

Just a thought what happens when you give lo less milk? The reason I ask is our lo used to cry after finishing a bottle but found it wasn't the milk he wanted it was the comfort of suckling so gave him a dummy after his feeds. Could this help you?

It&#8217;s a recurrent summer-time scenario in the pediatric emergency room and doctors from Johns Hopkins Children&#8217;s are sounding the alarm on it: An otherwise healthy infant is brought in by panicked parents after suffering a seizure, which turns out to be caused by drinking too much water.

Pediatricians at Hopkins Children&#8217;s see at least three or four such cases every summer, and while the seizures are benign and have no lasting effect on a child&#8217;s health, they are quite dramatic and completely preventable, doctors say.

&#8220;Babies need extra fluids in the hot weather, but straight water is not one of them,&#8221; says pediatrician Allen Walker, M.D., head of the Emergency Department at Hopkins Children&#8217;s. &#8220;A parent&#8217;s natural instinct is to give the baby water to prevent dehydration, but too much water can disrupt the delicate balance in a baby&#8217;s body, leading to water intoxication. Before you know it, the baby is seizing.&#8221;

Too much water dilutes sodium in the blood and flushes it out of the body, thus altering brain activity, which can lead to a seizure. Infants under 1 year of age may be more prone to these types of seizures than older children because a young infant&#8217;s diet does not contain enough food sources to replenish the lost sodium. Also, an infant&#8217;s immature kidneys cannot flush out excess water fast enough, causing a dangerous buildup of water in the body.

Breast milk and formula are the best way to keep a child under 1 year of age who is not eating solid foods hydrated, Walker says, and straight water should be avoided. Over-diluted formula can lead to water intoxication as well. Electrolyte-enriched pediatric drinks are not recommended for routine hydration.

I give my l.o water too and she is gorgeous and chunky and gaining weight really well. I think you should be persistant with the water so as not to teach bad habits of drinking juice instead of water. I've heard juice can also make babies have nappy rash and runny stools + its full of sugar.

I only give an oz of water every odd day, especially on a hot day. It clears her tongue and its refreshing for her, I wouldnt give any more though as it can be dangerous for them.

you know ur baby best and if u want to give her a little water do it.

my daughter was never interested in water until i started to wean her.

i first gave her juice when she was about 16 weeks, i gave her the pre made baby juice but watered that down as i think its really sweet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->