weaning a preemie

twinklestar

2 boys nd 2 girls
Reaction score
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ive posted this in weaning too but thought you might help

just wanted some advise

kane was born at 33+1 so not REALLY early but enough that so far his milestones have all been at his corrected age

he is now 6.5 months and we got back from hols yesterday before this i had been offering bits of BLW but his hand to eye coordination is still behind so he had only managed twice to get foos to his mouth

now were home i 'think' i should start the weaning more seriously but my problem is he isnt intersted at all yet, i tried some TW food but his head control isnt great and he is too small for the high chair and in the bumbo his chin ends up on his chest which makes getting a spoon in impossible

my instinct is telling me not to worry and to let him decide when he wants it and go with BLW which is what i wanted to do, BUT i feel now he is 6.5 months i should

HELP PLEASE

to add - he is on 5x 6oz of formula at the mo so loads of room just to up the milk instead !

I weaned my two at about 5 months actual / 3 months corrected. They were both hungry and loved food from day one! I didn't try finger foods though until they were about 6 months and even then they didn't really eat much of it. I used to just give them rusks or toast, just so they could practice feeding themselves really. Once they were about 7 months they got the hang of feeding themselves finger food.

From a practical point, I fed them in their car seats or bouncy chairs until they were able to sit up properly and could cope with their high chairs.

Personally, I wouldn't worry too much and would be led by him. A friend of mine had a term baby who wasn't interested in food until she was about 7 months old (she would just push it round her mouth and then throw it up!), and then went straight onto finger foods. Her HV told her as long as she was putting on weight it was fine, and she would eat solids when she was ready.

Good luck hun x

Preemie guidelines from Bliss say you should go by their corrected age - so it might be ideal time now?

Use bouncy chairs when you're weaning a preemie because some dont have the support yet.

Bliss leaflet is available here https://www.bliss.org.uk/download_d...e.asp?section=584&sectionTitle=Weaning+your+p

I started early based on Andrew's corrected age - but he wasn't particularly interested in what I was feeding him. We couldn't feed him in the bouncy chair as he tended to throw up the minute he was moved out of it (as if it all got stuck in his throat!), but he soon managed to hold his head up in the bumbo - we propped him on both sides with towels so that he didn't slide around.

Andrew is now a year old, 9m corrected, and he is still not interested in food. It's becoming a bit of an issue, and we have a dietitian's appointment in the next few weeks. I'm about to post in the Weaning forum about it!

My little girl is 7 months actual and I started weaning her a fortnight ago. I wasn't sure if she was ready so someone suggested trying her and see how she goes. She is enjoying the food and now has the mouth wide open when she sees the spoon.

She is only getting small amounts once a day and it is quite runny as she is only 3 1/2 months corrected. I also use her bouncy chair to feed her.

thanks everyone,

that makes me feel a bit better, hes a good weight so i guess il not worry and try a little every day from his bouncy chair and go from there

Iv just started weaning rosalie at first she was not interested at all i just kept trying her with a little bit everyday so hard and fast rules or specific meals always did it wen she wasnt hungry so she didnt lose patience. Its only these last 3 days shes started to look for her food and eat it properly. She let me know when she was ready dont feel like u have to force it x

i weaned at 5 months and mine were born at 30 weeks
you dont wean from the corrected age because they have been gettin milk from the uncorrected one xxx

I satrted weaning at 17 weeks actual age on advice of MOllys consultant as she would never drink enough milk. I agree that the bouncy chair was the best thing to use to feed her. I would say go with your instinct as to when to do it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->