Weaning a premmie baby

weebubbles

Mummy
Reaction score
Hi, my son should only be 6 months and I started weaning him a month ago. Does it matter when you start weaning when it comes to premature babies. Should you start at 6 months corrected age or uncorrected age? Also when can I start giving chicken and fish?
thank you

I have heard of babies being weaned at a different time to the 6 months when they were prem, but usually only when they very prem (rather than just 2 wks maybe like mine was)
IIRC it is sometimes suggested by the babies doctor that they are weaned off their corrected age, not actual age - but from what I have seen this was on the say so of a medical person.

BLISS guidelines say premmies should be weaned at ACTUAL age of 5-7 months. Current NHS guidance (GPs etc) seems to be that they should be weaned based instead on a CORRECTED age of 5-7m, though my Health Visitor said that she'd seen research to say that basing on actual age was more beneficial and implied that the guidelines might be revised shortly.

I've got an "extreme" preemie (29wks), and I've weaned based on his actual age. We started at 5 months, with HV support but against the paediatrician's advice. It seemed to stimulate his appetite not only for food but also for milk, increasing his daily intake and thereby helping his growth rate.

We started weaning at 6 months actual, following Bliss guidelines and our HV.

think you should do whatever you feel is right, mummy's know best:thumbup:

Yup they say actual, i see your LO was about 4 weeks early? I would say go for it when you feel comfortable. Alex was almost 13 weeks early and we went for it at actual with Rice, and we are just taking our time!

thank you. I asked the HV and she said I am doing everyhting right and to give him fish and he loved it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->