Weaning a toddler

kissesandhugs

Momma to Isaiah and Nova
Reaction score
I'm not too worried about him weaning anytime soon honestly but I do want 2 years old to be the limit. Not bc he's "too old" ...more for myself. He only nurses to sleep- naps & bedtime. He nurses maybe 2-3 times during the night still which isn't that big of a problem. My only issue is I cannot sleep while he's nursing anymore. NO matter how hard I try to I can't. And there's nights where he'll be sleeping but will not let me unlatch him alllll night long. I work full time and the next day was BRUTAL. Besides all that I do think our time is coming up and would like some tips as to how I can make it the least painful for both of us and how can I put him to sleep without cio or cc?? Please no judgement, I'm very proud to see how far we have came and have no shame in stopping at 2 years old :)

My situation is different from yours as I weaned at 12 months, in the end it got to the point where DD prefered the bottle over me :haha: so I had no trouble there, and then I was down to just one morning feed, and the rest was formula or breastmilk I had pumped and froz from an earlier time.
I had to stop due it being SO sore after I got pregnant... like it was almost like I got bf aversion :wacko: and I couldnt make myself continue, I'm sure if I hadn't been pregnant I woulda continued the morning feed a little longer.

I am the same, OP. I am happy to feed until LO is two but would like to wean him then. I have no idea how, if he's not ready I don't want to force him...

I weaned DS at 22 months. I worried about it leading up to it but actually in the end it wasn't that bad. He was only feeding first thing in the morning and before bed. DS had been an avid BF'er. Never took a bottle, flat out refused even when left overnight with family. hence the worry.

For the morning one, I moved where we fed from his room to the lounge, then kept delaying feeding him by a couple of mins every few days and when DS finally asks for the feed I offer him a sippy cup of his favorite drink and ask if he wanted a drink. He would say yes and take the drink. He was thirsty/hungry in the morning so this was the easiest one to swap over.

After i had that one swapped right over and starting on breakfast before drink. i looked at changing the night one over. Same kind of deal. i moved the bf from just before sleep and bedroom to about half an hour before bed and in lounge in small increments. Then started offering drinks instead of BF.

It was painless for us and after a couple of weeks, he just stopped asking for BF and started asking for milk.

That was our experience anyway.

I weaned DS at 22 months. I worried about it leading up to it but actually in the end it wasn't that bad. He was only feeding first thing in the morning and before bed. DS had been an avid BF'er. Never took a bottle, flat out refused even when left overnight with family. hence the worry.

For the morning one, I moved where we fed from his room to the lounge, then kept delaying feeding him by a couple of mins every few days and when DS finally asks for the feed I offer him a sippy cup of his favorite drink and ask if he wanted a drink. He would say yes and take the drink. He was thirsty/hungry in the morning so this was the easiest one to swap over.

After i had that one swapped right over and starting on breakfast before drink. i looked at changing the night one over. Same kind of deal. i moved the bf from just before sleep and bedroom to about half an hour before bed and in lounge in small increments. Then started offering drinks instead of BF.

It was painless for us and after a couple of weeks, he just stopped asking for BF and started asking for milk.

That was our experience anyway.

I'm going to have to try your time distancing method for the night time feedings I think.... I've been about ready to go cold turkey which I know isn't good but I'm at my wits end it feels like.

I'll give that a go... it sounds like a good method and it's one that I used in the mornings so why I couldn't "reverse" it at night I am not sure lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->