Weaning and losing weight

Scally

Reaction score
Can i ask your ladies advice please?
My sister's LO is abour 20 weeks, breastfed, and has started having rice/purees for lunch and dinner (as well as breastmilk). Her last weigh in 2 weeks ago she was 13lb and now she has gone down to 11lb. Can this occur when weaning? Is there something my sister should be worried about? Her LO hasnt had an upset stomach or anything, if anything she has been constipated. Also when my sister does her rice she uses water, would it be best to use milk?
Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you

I would use breastmilk for the cereal...more calories. Also has she stopped nursing as much because she is weaning? That could cause her to loose because she isnt' getting enough calories as babyfood really doesn't have much calories in it and almost no fat...depends on what she's eating. Also has she recently started crawling or anything like that? If they get more active that can cause them to loose. But 2lbs is quite a bit for a young baby

When I went to my GP about Aisling losing weight, he was very interested to know whether it had started once we started weaning, something to do with wheat intolerences etc so it might be worth having LO checked out if the loss continues. Also, breastmilk has more calories than veg etc so it's worth making sure LO has a full milk feed before offering solids.

She might be filling up on the solids and therefore taking less milk? As the others have said, breastmilk has more calories than veg etc so I guess that could cause a loss or poor gain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->