Weaning and milk feeds.

XKatX

Reaction score
Not sure if this should be here or in breastfeeding, so if it's wrong, shoot me now and move it over!!

Oliver is just over 7 months now and has a nice big breakfast, substantial lunch and a small tea. He obviously has breastmilk on demand still.

Do I BF him before or after his breakfast. Now that he only has one feed a night, one boob is more than ready to feed him, but I don't want to fill his little tummy with milk before his breakfast.
I suppose it is irrelevent is I BF or FF really, it's just when I give him a drink thats the question.

Hebe takes both boobs as soon as she wakes. She's not screaming or anything but once we get her up and head towards our bed, the heavy breathing starts and then when she sees me unbutton my top she either squeals or pants.....I dont have that effect on my husband :dohh: so I know she's ready.

Then she has a decent breakkie too - a bowl of porridge not much smaller than I have. She doesnt eat again until 12.30 ish. Most days that's it BF wise till bed time - the rest is solids (generally fruits for lunch and veg and a pud for tea).

I dont think that there are any rules to say before or after. For me I decided before worked well because once I'm back at work I'll need to leave before her 'breakkie' to be at work for 8am. So she wont be starving on the way to nursery and they can give her her porridge or what ever. :D

when Fred wakes about 6.30 - 7 I feed him both boobs x

then he has some porridge about 8.30 and still eats it all xxx

I then leave him till about 11am and im currently giving him a bottle here x

when Fred wakes about 6.30 - 7 I feed him both boobs x

then he has some porridge about 8.30 and still eats it all xxx

I then leave him till about 11am and im currently giving him a bottle here x

I do the same with Amelie cept she has fruit+toast for breakfast.

I FF but I generally feed her some food first and an hour later a bottle. :)

i've heard they're meant to have their milk first. basically cos at this age milk is still their main source of nutrition, even if they're on 3 meals. so giving them a milk feed first makes sure they get everything they need and then the food just suplements it. katie still has 8oz when she wakes up, then has about 3 triangles of toast (gets more every day!) and then she'll have 2 yoghurts some days!!

i've heard they're meant to have their milk first. basically cos at this age milk is still their main source of nutrition, even if they're on 3 meals. so giving them a milk feed first makes sure they get everything they need and then the food just suplements it. katie still has 8oz when she wakes up, then has about 3 triangles of toast (gets more every day!) and then she'll have 2 yoghurts some days!!

Thanks hun. This does ring a bell. It confuses me though - if they've had a boobie feed, do they know to leave enough room for toast? Obviousy they do if that's what you do! I'll give it a go the next few days xx

i dont give katie her toast til about an hour after she has her milk. saying thatt ho OH gives her it practically straight after!!

This makes sense :D ......which is surprising given that Alice posted it....:rofl:

But seriously this makes total sense.

Kat - Hebe takes both sides about 7am and then a big bowl of porridge about 8.30am.

lisa if it wasnt for the fact that you're letting me test a lovely pram, i'd so not be talking to you, you're well mean to me...i'm not your friend anymore :rofl:

:kiss: You know I love you.....I know I've got it coming back at some point! :lol:

when you get sprogged up again (if you're not already :lol:) you're gettin it tonnes worse!!

If I get a :bfp: I am gonna dread telling you.....:lol:

Kat, Poppy has a good breastfeed as soon as she wakes and then her breakfast shortly after (probably about 1/2 to 3/4 of an hour after). That's normally it until lunchtime when I normally offer her her solid lunch and follow that with a breastfeed. She then has a mid afternoon feed (or two if she's thirsty), then her solid tea and then a feed before bed.

I think it's right what Alice said about the milk being the most important part of their diet, especially after a long night's sleep. x

once we get her up and head towards our bed, the heavy breathing starts and then when she sees me unbutton my top she either squeals or pants.....I dont have that effect on my husband :dohh: so I know she's ready.

:rofl:

Poppy does this too, so funny...like a thirsty puppy! I get no excited panting from my hubby anymore either!

Kat, Poppy has a good breastfeed as soon as she wakes and then her breakfast shortly after (probably about 1/2 to 3/4 of an hour after). That's normally it until lunchtime when I normally offer her her solid lunch and follow that with a breastfeed. She then has a mid afternoon feed (or two if she's thirsty), then her solid tea and then a feed before bed.

I think it's right what Alice said about the milk being the most important part of their diet, especially after a long night's sleep. x

Yes, it does sound logical now!! I'm gonna give this a go. i think he's ready to drop his feeds and just have a big breakfast one, a drink after lunch and a big supper one.

Right Lisa and Alice - no nasties on my thread!!!:rofl:
Anyway, have I missed something Lisa? Why are you needing to test and why don't I know about this?!!!

Sorry Kat....:blush:

I'll be testing next week if no AF.......got a few symptoms that are niggling at me.....probably nothing tho. :)

Sorry Kat....:blush:

I'll be testing next week if no AF.......got a few symptoms that are niggling at me.....probably nothing tho. :)

What do you mean, probably nothing?!! Ooh, this is exciting!! I want a PM whenever you test young lady!!!:bfp::bfp::bfp:,:bfp::bfp::bfp:!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->