Weaning and milk intake!

LovelyGirl85

Reaction score
Hi,

Amy is coming up for 17 weeks old and although she isn't ready for weaning yet, I've got a few questions!

For her first taste of food - what time of day should I try her with food? Currently she usually gets up around 8/8.30 am and has her milk between 8.30 and 9 am. I was thinking perhaps an hour after her milk or is that too long?

Also, do I still give her milk first, or try food first?

For formula fed babies - did you start giving a drink of water with food?

Thanks - I know it'll all probably make sense when we start it but right now it just seems like so much information and I'm trying to make sense of it all!

HI hun, when you start weaning the best time to start when she's fully awake & alert & after her regular milk feeds. She shouldnt drop her milk feeds before she's 6+ months & already on 3 meals. You can introduce water when you start weaning but only few sips if she's drinking enough formula. Introducing water is only to train her to get used to it's taste. She doesnt really need much water until she's on 3 meals, starts to drop milk feeds & already having animal protien as part of her diet. My advise, if you'r planning to start before she's 6 months take it slow. Good luck. xxx

Thanks!
I'm not sure when I'll start, she is a hungry girl etc but she shows no interest in food! I don't want to rush her because once it starts then thats it - there's no going back lol!

The closer to 6 months the better. We started at week 20 due to reflux, Omar hated all puree except some fruity pots & those made his reflux worse. Then he started to drop his milk intake to 12 oz in 24 hrs. We had to stop weaning after 3 weeks & try again at 6.5 months when he started to maintain the min milk intake for his age. Until now he's not a big eater. xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvi.H.
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->