Weaning at 4 months - under medical advice

firstprincess

Reaction score
I know this one can be a difficult subject. I would like to make it clear that I have been advised to start weaning my little one at 15 weeks by a paediatrician. She has severe reflux and treatment is ineffective so we have been advised to start solids immediately to make sure she is getting correct nutrition.

I just wondered if anyone had also started this early? What was your experiences?

And what are the best foods to try at this age?

ANY ADVICE PLEASE!!

:hugs:

If your doctor suggested weaning at that early age how come they don't advise what foods to start with?
How do they expect you to make sure she gets the right nutrition without telling you that?

Sorry if that sounds odd, but I can't understand why a doctor would tell you to do something so important and then leave you to work out how to do it.

I completely agree with Lisa - I would go back to the Dr!

I agree - I think the do's and don't's of weaning are really complicated and confusing, and have asked loads of questions about it - and am still confused - and my LO is going to be 6 months before we really start (although she's had some veg)...

If the GP is unhelpful, or if you feel you need more explanation or have more questions, maybe you could ask for an appointment with your HV? I know round here they do home visits to talk about weaning, and also give free samples of useful things like cups and spoons (and toothbrushes!) :thumbup:

yes i agree it was odd for them not to give me advice. I did ask but he just said that there are plenty of books available. Surely i cant go head first into it this young?! I did ring my health visitor yesterday who called me back today. I have to stick with baby rice for a week then try root vegetables and have her weighed each week. Will let you know how it goes.

Yeah you might find some books are helpful - a lot of books give weaning advice based on the old guidelines of weaning at 3-4 months anyway.

We were advised to wean early. Jaden refused the rice as it has no taste but loved the 4month cow and gate porridge, also mild veg such as parsnip / coliflower (cant spell today lol) mash a little carrot into baby rice so the flavour isnt too strong. We managed like this for 2 weeks then went onto a mix of homemde and stage 1 Jars.

Sam x

We have been advised to wean early and to start on baby rice for the same reason...aparently anabell karmel books are good for early weaning according to my HV...One thing i dont get thogh is sha said that he could have cows milk after 6 months..is this right?

x

We have been advised to wean early and to start on baby rice for the same reason...aparently anabell karmel books are good for early weaning according to my HV...One thing i dont get thogh is sha said that he could have cows milk after 6 months..is this right?

x

it is right that's cows milk will do them no harm after 6 months BUT only in cooking/porridge, not as a drink to replace BM or formula :)
That is becuase most people find it easier to cook with normal milk rather than formula...but cows milk doesnt contain the right nutrients for them until they are one so that's why they shouldn't have it as a drink.

Thanks for all your posts. A few days have passed. We seem happiest at about 2pm so this is when we decided to introduce solids, we started with baby rice and have mixed in a little carrot today. Which she loved! So were gonna do carrot and rice for a few days then try something else. Just been to the library and picked up a copy of annabel karmel book so will have a read through. It may be coincidence, but my little one definately seems happier and seems to be keeping the solids down - no change on the milk though, thats still coming back with a vengeance.

Also we have to see the paediatrician again at the beginning of May and he stipulated that he wanted her on 3 solid meals a day by then. So when should I increase to two meals a day and so on?

It was totaly normal to wean at four months when my children were babies (the youngest is now almost 6, oldest 13). Guidelines then were no gluten, meat, fish or eggs prior to six months, which meant mainly baby rice, vegetables, fruit, yoghurts/fromage frais and some cheese.

Tbh, even though you start at four months, it can be a while before they get onto any amount of solids worth having, as they only start with small amounts. I do think as your baby has special requirements it is best to go with the advice given by the doctor.

I am pregnant again and admit to finding all the latest advice quiet hard and some of it rather odd, so I can understand how everyone's Mum feels... :blush:

I found that my LO wanted to move up to 2 meals per day after a couple of days! I was surprised but trusted my own instincts with it. She'd been gettting carrots, pears for a couple of days at 2pm ish then one morning she just did not want her milk, even though i knew she was hungry. I was surprised but thought I'd give her 'food' and she rattled through it. We are up at wk 3 now but she is still only on 2 lots of solids and the rest milk. We have fruit in the morning, and I've introduced heinz baby porridge as well, and we have veggies in the afternoon.

I have been advised to do this too & have started on baby rice which he loves, we give him 3-4 spoonfuls an hour before his feed (he wont take it before & is too full after) he's happier an hour before, once a day x
His reflux hasnt improved but that could be because he isnt having much just yet x

We started to wean my lo at 21weeks cos wasn't gaining weight advised by hv started on baby rice but didn't like it at all finally the past couple of days we have introduced a second meal (breakfast and tea) and he eventually taking it off the spoon was finger feeding him. He has cow & gate porridge in the morning and up to 2oz of home made veg/fruit his fav so far is apple!! And he has even upped his milk intake in the last couple of days lol so maybe he has realised that he needs more food esp as he is now trying to crawl. So I am really hoping that he will have put some weight on this week.

I find all this 'must only wean at 6 months' stuff really bizarre. My 1st 2 kids were weaned at 4 months (as recommended then) and that was only 4 and 8 years ago and they are both healthy kids with great appetites. If you wean before 6 months now people practically acuse you of trying to kill your child!?!? Both my boys were ready for food at 4 months so i followed their lead. We started with baby rice and porridge once a day and added one more meal each week so by 3 weeks they were getting 3 meals a day (very small portions to begin with obviously) At about 6 months they were getting wee yoghurts too and biits of fruit and gradually they started eating finger foods etc. Go with your instinct and let baby lead you - dont be frightened to try new things with your LO.

Also we have to see the paediatrician again at the beginning of May and he stipulated that he wanted her on 3 solid meals a day by then. So when should I increase to two meals a day and so on?

This was quite helpful to me as a guide: https://www.hipp.co.uk/media/pdf/Weaning Chart.pdf

Hope this helps.

x

I started weaning at 4 months. My LO's pediatrician said at 4 months a baby's digestive system is mature enough to handle small amounts of solid foods, such as fruits, veggies, and cereals. He said no meats until 6 months. My LO is 19 weeks old and is eating cereal in the morning plus his milk, fruit and milk at lunch, milk in the afternoon, and fruit or cereal and milk in the evening before bed and usually wakes between 12 - 4am for a bottle.

I just wanted to mention, I am in the US, so guidelines are a little different here than they are in the UK. Not to start an argument or anything, but I never understood the waiting until 6 months to wean.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leoniee
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->