Weaning at 4 months

GracieGoo

Mammy to 2 beauts! xx
Reaction score
My little man is just over 4 months old... He has slept through the night for approx 10 weeks, with only a few blips and is also seen as a bigger baba (although following his centile line like a pro). He has recently started waking up several times a night, taking up to 10 oz during the night and more during the day (on an average day he normally 4O-45oz no probs before all this started happening) We put him on hungry baby milk a good few weeks back. His hand to eye coordination is excellent, he sits up with a good straight back, and didnt seem very satisfied after his milk feed. After plenty of research I decided to offer him a bit of baby rice an hour or do before his last bottle of the evening. He seemed to love it (I never actually believed it when people said their babies loved food first time), he was smiling, squealing (does this a lot at the minute when excited), grabbing the spoon, making chewing actions and playing with the food in his mouth. He has been sleeping better, seems a lot less fussy and seems to have gone back down to his normal amount of milk (approx 40oz a day).

The thing is in my head I am sure I have done the right thing, he is back to his contented self, but I feel bad that I gave in and I am scared that I could have hurt him? He was sooo frustrated and upset before I gave him this food. I don't mind getting up with him in the night, I have been lucky he hasn't really done it too much so I hope I am not just trying to fill him up to sleep better iykwim. Hubby thinks I am mad to think like this, and we have been through a difficult few weeks where lo has been inconsolable and this is just do unlike him even when he does hit a growth spurt. Hubby really believes that babies will guide you and kind of 'tell' you what they need.

Any experiences ladies?

I am in exactly the same predicament, my lo is not sleeping well despite going down and sttn for last 7-8 weeks so introduced the aptamil porridge for 4 months + twice a day. we have the consistency really thin, only slightly thicker than her milk, but like your lo, loves being fed by a spoon. gets excited when she sees the bowl coming. sits up nice and straight and swallows the porridge with no issues.

I worried too about introducing solids, however i wont introduce veg and fruit etc for another month or so yet cos i feel she's too young but dont see the harm in a little baby porridge to help satisfy her appatite. i tried increasing her milk but she wont go beyond 5 oz.at each feed so was still only taking 30 oz a day. porridge was the only way to increase her food intake. dont feel bad. u know your child and if the rice wasnt agreeing with him you'd stop. if he seems fine, go with it xxx

The guidelines say 6 months BUT every baby is different!! I'm sure he will be fine :) have you tried hungry baby milk?

Cx

The guidelines say 6 months BUT every baby is different!! I'm sure he will be fine :) have you tried hungry baby milk?

Cx

Yes, he has been on hungry baby milk for a month now, initially I just gave it him morning and night but after 2 weeks I increased it to every feed. It did make a difference, he is on 9oz feeds as well. Thanks for the reply x

I am in exactly the same predicament, my lo is not sleeping well despite going down and sttn for last 7-8 weeks so introduced the aptamil porridge for 4 months + twice a day. we have the consistency really thin, only slightly thicker than her milk, but like your lo, loves being fed by a spoon. gets excited when she sees the bowl coming. sits up nice and straight and swallows the porridge with no issues.

I worried too about introducing solids, however i wont introduce veg and fruit etc for another month or so yet cos i feel she's too young but dont see the harm in a little baby porridge to help satisfy her appatite. i tried increasing her milk but she wont go beyond 5 oz.at each feed so was still only taking 30 oz a day. porridge was the only way to increase her food intake. dont feel bad. u know your child and if the rice wasnt agreeing with him you'd stop. if he seems fine, go with it xxx

You sound exactly in the same situ as me!! Except my little man demolishes 9oz feeds for fun most of the time!! I have said exactly the same about the veggies, we want to see how we manage like this. The thing is the lack of sleep at night was making him sooo upset during the day, it was like someone had literally given us a different baby bless him. He seems to have relaxed again, isnt as tense and upset. It was soul destroying to see him so worked up and nothing I tried seemed to work until this. I just need to get over the fact that guidelines are a guide only and that all babies are different... It is hard though when you hear all of the scare stories :(

Has you little lady settled a lot better now? X

We weaned early (started slowly about 18 weeks) and I think I am in the minority, but my LO STTN from night 1 of starting solids and in the 7 or 8 weeks since , I have been up to her once (last night urgh!). You know what is right for your baby and you need to do what works for your family.

IMO they are just guidelines! I am going to introduce baby ceral once my little man is a bit over his 4 month mark. He is a very chunky man and like your baby, doesnt seem happy after a normal feed (he is breastfed though).

:flower:

Yeah scare stories worry you dont they? I told my HV what we were doing with baby porridge and she was fine with it. If it was so dangerous they would b telling us to stop.

So far she is still waking once thru the night so thinking we will increase the baby portidge a little and see how it goes. its always tricky getting the routine established again when we've had to make changes but we're hoping she'll settle... or it could b the dreaded 4 month sleep regression phase and no amount of feeding will change that :dohh: xxx

I dunno what you really want from this thread but i think 4 months is far too young to wean :shrug: babies are fine nuitrition wise on milk alone until they're a year old so a 4 month old isn't going to be starving cos they have no solids.
Theres a sleep regression at 4 months and being a bigger baby means nothing in regards to when to start weaning. Signs they are ready to be weaned are sitting up by themselves or with little support, being able to grab for food and put it in their mouth etc, not waking up during the night or being interested and watching people eat.
I think baby rice is disgusting gloop too. I'd much prefer to give puree veg and fruits with a bit of taste and nutrition if I was going to use purees.

I dunno what you really want from this thread but i think 4 months is far too young to wean :shrug: babies are fine nuitrition wise on milk alone until they're a year old so a 4 month old isn't going to be starving cos they have no solids.
Theres a sleep regression at 4 months and being a bigger baby means nothing in regards to when to start weaning. Signs they are ready to be weaned are sitting up by themselves or with little support, being able to grab for food and put it in their mouth etc, not waking up during the night or being interested and watching people eat.
I think baby rice is disgusting gloop too. I'd much prefer to give puree veg and fruits with a bit of taste and nutrition if I was going to use purees.

Thank you for your post...

Ok, how would you best manage the situation then rather than just say it is too young to wean? I am looking for best opinions really on how to manage it. He takes a 9oz bottle ever 3 hours - although recently this is every 1-2 hours and he was alwaus fussing with it. He has been sleeping through since 11 weeks. I understand that if a baby wakes before 6 months then they should be offered milk, which I have been doing. This is simply not satisfying him?! I have been really lucky to have a baby who I generally feel I can read well. He generally only cries out of hunger or tiredness. I understand there is a regression at this point, from what I have read baby will take a long stint of sleep (a couple of hours), and then tend to be fussy there on in, waking properly every 30-45 mins. I also know there is a growth spurt at approx 16 weeks which he has gone through an I recognise his symptoms and signs of this.

Up until I tried the baby rice, he was fussy all day and all night, there has been no sleep longer than an hour or so at all (day or night). Since the day he was born this has never been the case. I understand about the nutritional content etc, the reason I chose baby rice was on a weaning talk given a few weeks ago suggesting it was the best food type if weaning early from several medical professionals. At the time I didn't take much notice as I honestly thought I would be one of those mums who got to the 6 month weaning age and that I would perhaps like to try my hand at blw.

How would you best deal with the situation? Thanks

I recommend reading this: https://www.livestrong.com/article/252816-infant-digestive-system-development/

As I've said before, typically mother knows best, but we don't have x-ray vision :flower:

Keep feeding him on demand. It's normal around this age for them to be fussy and have sleep problems. Are you trying other ways of settling him? :flower:

I think the 4 month growth spurt/sleep regression can easily last 4-6 weeks (my LO's did) which could easily explain why your LO has changed in terms of sleeping patterns/seeming content etc so if you're able to hang on a bit longer before introducing solids regularly then it might be better for LO in the long-run in - according to research etc. As a PP said, if you are going to wean early then you might be better to introduce fruit or veg purees - or even look into other options than baby rice - Organix do a 4 grain cereal that I use sometimes to thicken LO's purees with - this looks more nutritious than baby rice and says you can use from 4 months.

I have tried every way of settling him, he has just ren so angry and fed up, at one point I genuinely thought about taking him to the quacks as honestly it has been like he is not my baby at all... I rock him, wear him, take him out in the pram, the car, we try to play but there has been lack of that recently. I play him music, sing to him, just try to shush with him. It has been relentless. I know he isn't I'll or anything like that, he is just a different baby and I can hand on heart at this moment say that the last few weeks I haven't known him at all. I have tried this baby rice the last few days, literally just a few weaning spoons worth of an evening and he seems so so so much more content. Maybe it is just conincidence?! Who knows. I have read the research you give oz, it does make a lot of sense... It also seems to e based on a breastfed baby (I am not drawing in in on that arguement at all), just saying maybe they are different situations I don't know (please no one flame me for that).

I am doing all I can at the min to just help my little man... I am honestly open to suggests, but I really feel this may have worked these last few days do maybe my baby really is one of those that is ready?!

X

I would just see how he is in a week or two. It could be just the 4 month growth spurt or the sleep regression of hell =).

He doesn't NEED food, even though he likes it.

If he is gulping down 10 easily and will fuss for more food, even on hungry milk, I wouldn’t hesitate to add some baby rice (or whatever is right for you). Maybe ask your HP for advice just before starting it?

I don't know, maybe I am getting scared on the numbers.... These last few weeks I have seen him take over 60oz of milk on occasions! My thinking is that is a hell of a lot, spesh when he is still upset after feeding despite being winded properly and changed etc... X

Oops obviously that is meant to be a day!!! Not 60oz in one sitting. I have also tried co-sleeping and nothing settles him x

dont worry about the numbers. if you were bf youd have no idea on how many oz they were taking :hugs:

Do what u feel is right and personally, i wouldnt look for advice on here as you will always have people telling u what u r doing is wrong. you know your baby and if he is much happier and content then a few spoonfuls of baby rice wont do any harm. if he wasnt ready he would let u know as he'd b violently sick, have changes in bowel movements or have pains. trust your instincts. early weaning isnt for everyone but it doesnt mean its wrong.

I am an early education and childcare lecturer and read up on research all the time. there is tonnes of conflicting research out there. trust your mummy instincts and as long as your son is happy and well i wouldnt worry too much x

what does you being a lecturer have to do with anything? Unless you lecture in paediatric dietetics its totally irrelevant.

This mothers instinct thing doesnt make sense when its weaning.

what does you being a lecturer have to do with anything? Unless you lecture in paediatric dietetics its totally irrelevant.

This mothers instinct thing doesnt make sense when its weaning.

I have access to a lot of research materials which i have to read up on as part of my job. this research covers many topics from early childhood through to school age children. i am not claiming to b an expert, just letting poster know i have read a lot of research and why does my opinion matter less then yours? Why is your advice more important than mine? And why should she listen to you in that case? Do you lecture in paediatric dietetics?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
over35tryin
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->