Weaning at almost 7 months

Samemka

Mummy of 2 girlies
Reaction score
Emma will be 7 months in a weeks time.

So far I have been making my own food for her (Annabel Karmel recipes) - she's eating lumpier food now...not really lumpy by any means just not pureed til it's super smooth.

Today I gave her some toast cut into strips which she held and chewed - couldn't believe it, thought she'd done really well to chew when it's the first time she's had something like that.

Anyway - I want to keep continuing to make her food...loads of yummy AK recipes....but I also want to try other finger foods but I'm just not sure when and what to introduce because we've not done BLW so I'm worried if I give her some finger food she'll choke because she's not used to feeding herself.

Just looking for some advice because I'm still not quite sure what I'm meant to be doing! :dohh: :dohh:

You could try with things before or after the main food, like sticks of cucumber before, or a piece of cheese. Then fruit or a biscuit afterwards.

That way you won't get worried if not much of it gets eaten...but they can start to get the hang of eating with their hands.
She wont choke (chances are slim) however be prepared for gagging - as in a bit might slip in her throat that she wasn't ready for etc and she kind of coughs to bring it back in to her mouth - this is normal and just her getting used it - not choking!

Thanks for this. She's gagged before & it really scares me everytime she does it - I immediately think she's going to choke :( Wish I didn't worry so much :(

With the cucumber sticks, do I just give them to her in strips like toast, letting her hold them or do I have to keep hold of it to (see, I'm imagining her swallowing the whole thing lol). And with the cheese, cubes of cheese or strips? x

Thanks for this. She's gagged before & it really scares me everytime she does it - I immediately think she's going to choke :( Wish I didn't worry so much :(

With the cucumber sticks, do I just give them to her in strips like toast, letting her hold them or do I have to keep hold of it to (see, I'm imagining her swallowing the whole thing lol). And with the cheese, cubes of cheese or strips? x

with the cheese I just cut a slice, so thats maybe an inch by 2 inches, thick enough that it wont just break in her hand. That's the ideal size for her, she pops it in her mouth and nibbles a bit off it.

With fruit I do chunks, some times small enough that she just puts it in there and can chew right away, others she can hold in her hand and kind of suck and nibble on.

Izzy wasn't BLW so she isn't the best at knowing how to pick things up yet, especially tricky things like cut up tomatoes that seem to stick to the tray lol - but once she gets it in her hand she is fine!

Thank you!! I'll give the cheese a try tomorrow, then we need to do a food shop anyway so will stock up on lots of baby friendly goodies :) It was lovely to see her enjoying toast today so I want to start giving her things she can hold and suck/chew, & I hope as I do & see she's fine with them I'll get over my worry of her chocking on everything!! x

Thank you!! I'll give the cheese a try tomorrow, then we need to do a food shop anyway so will stock up on lots of baby friendly goodies :) It was lovely to see her enjoying toast today so I want to start giving her things she can hold and suck/chew, & I hope as I do & see she's fine with them I'll get over my worry of her chocking on everything!! x

Good luck - I bet she will surprise you with what she stuffs in there and munches up!
If you decide to try other things, other than the 'raw materials' I can recommend the Annabel Karmel Top 100 finger food book! Things I would never have thought of doing in there!

OO I'll have to get that, I have her puree book & it's been brilliant! x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->