weaning -- clogs without engorgement/fullness?

seaweed eater

Reaction score
I would especially appreciate advice from mothers who have weaned.

I'm weaning from the pump and was expressing about 1-2 oz a day, and now I'm just expressing to relieve discomfort. Last time I pumped (after 48 hours) I had a clogged duct, which I was able to get rid of through massaging and hand expressing a couple ounces. Now I've gone 60 hours and I woke up with one clog in each side, which again I've worked out in the same way.

The thing is, I'm not at all engorged or full. Everything I've read (including kellymom) says that you can express a little to relieve discomfort when you are feeling full or engorged, and I'm still not full or engorged. But my understanding is that milk stasis per se can cause clogs, and milk stasis is going to happen during weaning no matter what. It seems not to be unusual for moms to have stopped nursing for a week or two and suddenly experience a clog.

So can I do anything about this, and does it mean I'm going too fast? Or should I just keep working out the clogs? Maybe massage more in between to try to prevent them without removing milk?

TIA :flower:

Hi SE! I had similar problems when weaning from the pump, I talked to my lactation consultant and she said try not to pump or stimulate the breast in any way...like massage if you can avoid. No long hot showers or even heat compress if you were engorged. She suggested cold cabbage leaves in your, somewhat tight, sports bra 24/7 changing each time they get wilted and pure peppermint, I used peppermint altoids and they did the trick! 3 days later I was completely, or as far as I could tell, dried up. I will add, I was engorged, it hurt so bad but the cabbage leaves and altoids were miracles :) Give them a try, they are both very inexpensive and easy to do!!

Good luck!!!

Thank you! I didn't know even massage would be enough to stimulate supply. I knew about the cabbage but haven't though to get any! I'll try that. Good to know that you also had clogs and yet didn't get mastitis.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->