Weaning from the pump

eskimohime

Reaction score
I'm breastfeeding my 9 month old and pumping at work (3 times) during the day to keep up my supply. I've been thinking about what I should do at the 1 year mark. I want to continue breastfeeding for as long as my baby wants to. However, I'm unsure about pumping at work past a year. How do I slowly wean off the pump during the day, but still able to have a supply to breastfeed at home? Is this even possible? I was thinking of maybe dropping a pump (from 3 to 2) during the day, and then eventually only pumping once during my lunch break for as long as we are breastfeeding.

It depends how often you work and how long your days are as to whether your supply will disappear if you don't pump. I continued bf working three days a week and not pumping at all. We just has morning, pick up and bedtime feeds on work days and a few more on none work days. However when I went to full time (when LO was 21 months) my supply did drop, however LO had also stopped the morning feed by herself by this point so it might have dipped by itself anyway.

Pumping wise, I would do what you suggested and drop one pumping session at a time so you don't get any painful engorgement.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vz99vet
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->