• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Weaning help!

kksy9b

Loving my 2 boys and baby girl!
Reaction score
Hi all! i'm hoping you ladies can offer some advice.

My DS is 13 months and has always been a champion eater. He still nurses a short time before 2 naps, a longer feed at bedtime, and then short snacks at night (we partial co-sleep but trying to move away from it). We have been working on weaning for a month and successfully removed one session in the early morning :thumbup:

We have been trying to introduce whole milk to replace another feeding, but he is extremely resistant. Warm, cold, 4 different kinds of cups (including new ones), snuggled up etc...he wont take it. He never took to a bottle and is only used to getting milk from me.

My goal is 18 months weaned and its important to me to get there. I'm not comfortable cutting any other nursing sessions out until I can replace the milk because I know he still needs it. Any tips or suggestions? TIA!

I found giving DS whole milk after a meal when he was more awake meant that he drank more and nursed less. He still has milk after a meal with his fruit.

Thanks! I will try that today and see of he takes it any easier.

Would you have any interest in trying other types of milk (goat's milk, almond milk, coconut milk, etc). Some people just aren't a fan of cow's milk.

My LO didn't really like cows milk till she was gone 2. I just ensured she had dairy in other parts of her diet. I was still breastfeeding her till she self weaned at 27months ( but she was down to 3 or four feeds by 1 yr). When she dropped breastfeeds I never tried to swap it for a beaker of cows milk as I never thought of one as a replacement for the other (breastmilk has so many things in it that cows milk can't provide). So I think what I'm saying is as long as dairy is in her food then it doesn't have to be done as a drink. There are also calcium rich veggies and things like avocado for added fat.

thank you both! i never considered the fact that he can get the needed fats from other dairy sources (which he eats all the time). I think I'll put a call in to his doctor to get their suggestions on different milks and foods and try those instead!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kayzee94
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->