Weaning my baby at 15 weeks and 5 days

yes hun like I said before it did not agree with her but first thing tomorrow I am going to ring the HV and ask her advice I was just trying to do what I thought was best :blush:

:hugs: thats all were all doing aswell hun, don't feel bad for weaning early its your choice and your baby x

I tryed everything with aidan before I weaned him even put him on the hungrey baby milk. Me and My HV talked and she decided that it would be best to introduce a tiny amount of baby rice.

Talk to your HV hun and see what she says
xx

I think I just got first time mother nervous to be honest, I am very nervous with introducing new things to her even a new type of dummy :blush: I know it is sooo silly, but I honestly think she is ready for the baby rice and like I said she enjoyed it but I will put it on hold till HV has had her say

yeah ruby didnt do well on hungry baby.. and she had ferocious growth spurts... so it was often hard going!

Well it turned out the time I changed her milk on to hungrier baby because she was only going 2 hours in between bottles she was in actual fact having a growth spurt but this time she is going 4 hours and taking bout 7 oz but she does not seem satisfied, it is hard to tell what they need sometimes, would be so much easier if they could talk :rofl:

I gave Emma baby rice at 18 weeks, then started with purees at about 20 weeks. It worked for us - I knew milk wasn't satisfying her & she was so much happier when we started on food, even if it was just teeny amounts. I firmly believe you know your baby better than anyone and if you think it's the right thing to do, follow your instincts. Good luck!!! x xx x

I gave Emma baby rice at 18 weeks, then started with purees at about 20 weeks. It worked for us - I knew milk wasn't satisfying her & she was so much happier when we started on food, even if it was just teeny amounts. I firmly believe you know your baby better than anyone and if you think it's the right thing to do, follow your instincts. Good luck!!! x xx x

Thank You Sam :flower: Xxxxx :hugs:

In the US the recommendation is 6mo....some pediatricians still recommend 4mo though that isn't right anymore :)

What she was probably doing with her tongue is the tongue thrust reflex and one of the signs that they are ready for solids is when that goes away, it's just her body telling you she isn't ready for anything but milk right now. 3-4 mo it is very common for them to start waking again because it's one of the biggest growth spurts they have. I would try upping her milk and just feeding her that on demand and see where she is in a couple of weeks. But here are some good things you can read so you know why the recommendations are what they are...hope it helps

https://www.askdrsears.com/html/3/T032000.asp

https://babyfit.sparkpeople.com/articles.asp?id=712

In the US the recommendation is 6mo....some pediatricians still recommend 4mo though that isn't right anymore :)

What she was probably doing with her tongue is the tongue thrust reflex and one of the signs that they are ready for solids is when that goes away, it's just her body telling you she isn't ready for anything but milk right now. 3-4 mo it is very common for them to start waking again because it's one of the biggest growth spurts they have. I would try upping her milk and just feeding her that on demand and see where she is in a couple of weeks. But here are some good things you can read so you know why the recommendations are what they are...hope it helps

https://www.askdrsears.com/html/3/T032000.asp

https://babyfit.sparkpeople.com/articles.asp?id=712
Thank you Mummyof3co

This is just my opinion and I don't mean anything bad at all towards you so please don't read it that way :flower:

When was the last time you tried her on hungry baby milk? She may be able to handle it better now and tbh, I'd rather risk 'wasting' a rub of hungry baby milk just to rule it out if there's even a slightest chance of delaying weaning..

You say she won't have more milk, do you mean more frequently or more oz's at a time?

Are you positive that she's still hungry and that there's nothing else bothering her..? A growth spurt, teething etc?

Def talk to your HV and if you do decide to continue, then take the amounts very slow and carefully x

I have decided to stop as I have researched it more and think thank maybe she is not ready just as yet and it was me jumping to conclusions that she was, I am sure its not the worst or less harmful mistake a mother has made so I think she will be ok, ill just hold my horses for a few more weeks I think

Ah bless you

There are cases of Mum weaning early but always talk to your HV first theres so many signs that mean other things to :hugs:

And your right ...even with the best intentions its not always the right one at the end and we all do it with something or other.

x

Good on you for researching it and deciding to stop, I was very unsure if my baby was satisfied on milk at your LO's age but folk on here helped me see she was! :) The later you leave it, the easier weaning will be anyway.

good on you hun! I very nearly weaned ruby much earlier too, until i realised it was a huge growth spurt! I think its also normal to be excited about moving to the next stage too, which doesnt help, and like you say, its also all too easy to misread the signs of readiness Its always worth doing some research into the pros and cons of each side of the debate, and using it to decide whats right for your family!

jade- only you know your own baby- and its defo not un common to start introducing a tiny amount of solids with her milk- its not going to harm her, so whats the worst that happen? If she enjoyed it then continue very small amounts once a day or once every two days. I bet your HV will tell you the same thing- I know its easy but we cant always tuen to text books- we must do what we think is right and learn from our mistakes- as long as your not harming her (which your not!!!) then its fine.

jade- only you know your own baby- and its defo not un common to start introducing a tiny amount of solids with her milk- its not going to harm her, so whats the worst that happen? If she enjoyed it then continue very small amounts once a day or once every two days. I bet your HV will tell you the same thing- I know its easy but we cant always tuen to text books- we must do what we think is right and learn from our mistakes- as long as your not harming her (which your not!!!) then its fine.

I think Jade has made an informed decision now, let's not make matters confusing for her!

i think theres a difference between not harming her by giving her a spoonful before deciding to wait a while, and in not harming her by giving her solids every day from now on. Im not trying to start any arguments here, nor am i suggesting anyone weaning before 6m is causing serious harm, but there is strong evidence to suggest that waiting until they are a bit older, if at all possible, is probably best.

good on you hun! I very nearly weaned ruby much earlier too, until i realised it was a huge growth spurt! I think its also normal to be excited about moving to the next stage too, which doesnt help, and like you say, its also all too easy to misread the signs of readiness Its always worth doing some research into the pros and cons of each side of the debate, and using it to decide whats right for your family!

Very well put!!

I am ery excited about Earl moving on to food (I've been researching it last night while hubby was at work and ordered books off amazon, bowls etc off ebay and been looking at recipes! lol)....however, I know that before he's ready, in the longrun it will do more harm than good, if not physically then with his attitude to food. (Issues about food with me, I grew up on diets as my Mum is overweight and it really made me want to cook, learn more about it and experience more, instead of just eating brocolli at every meal! lol).

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvi.H.
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->