Weaning Struggle

Mikihob

Mom & TTC#2
Reaction score
My DS loved breastfeeding. I finally got him weaned, last feeding was May 18, and my milk still hasn't dried up. My right breast is lumpy and the left is not. Usually only the right one hurts. Today they both hurt really bad. The right one has red spots as well. :wacko:

Is this normal?

It's normal for your milk to take a while to dry up but it shouldn't be super painful and the red spots sound like mastitis. Did you stop feeding cold turkey?

Try to hand express a bit and see if it's a bit more comfortable, you can also try a hot compress or massaging it in a warm shower.

If you start feeling ill or the pain gets worse then see your doctor, if you do have mastitis you'll likely need antibiotics to clear it up.

Thanks staralfur!

I reduced his feedings over a two week period. He was eating only 1 feeding the last 4 days right before bed. I am curious if he didn't eat much that last feeding.

The red spots have gone but I have 1 plugged duct left. So far, a heating pad and massage has cleared all the plugs.

The pain is engorgement pain but it's only while I am wearing a bra. Is that probably because it's too tight?

I am also closely watching my temps and my feeling because if it's Mastitis I want to get checked asap.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->