Weekly or crash course driving lessons?

hawalkden

Reaction score
Need some advice regards to passing my test. I'm 22 and took my test 4 times when I was 17-19. after the 4th time I gave up and then the new driving test came out without the 'turn left' etc it's not the 'drive to B&Q' so I think I could do it now without the nerves getting to me.

Now Isaac is here I want to get on the road I'm sick of being in the house and struggling on public transport. I've been looking into these weeks crash courses for £680 for the week in a B&B, test, lessons and motorway course but it's not a 100% guarantee I'll pass at the end of the week so i'd have to spend more money on lessons and another test etc.

i've been working out how much lessons week by week would be and the theory test again and driving test and worked out i'd be spending about £400+ for 40 hours of lessons before my test again.

What shall I do?

A lot of money for a stressful event and I know I wouldn't be able to afford a car as soon as I pass etc but I just want the pink licence in my purse and I know it's there whenever I need it etc when i've the spare money for a car!

Thanks x

im thinking of learning to drive too. im also sick of relying on others. ive never had a lesson so am starting from the beginning. thinking of doing 2x2hr lessons a week as my mum said she'll pay for half!

I like the sound of the crash course, it took me ages to learn to drive because I'd forget stuff between lessons and every lesson felt a bit like I was starting from scratch for the first part of it. It sounds like a lot of money but it's so worth it.

Do you have the option to get insured as a learner driver on someone else's car? Then you could have as much practice as you could cram in

could get insured on OHs car but have to see what price it would be :\.

I found it more valuable to do it over time. As thats how my confidence on the road built. I dont think I would have been ready in a week. Also if you get insured on OHs car you can practice inbetween lessons.

It might save you money in the long run if you could cram in loads of lessons for a month or so and keep your formal lessons to a minimum?

I learnt by doing a 2 hour lesson per week, there is no way i could of taken everything in within 1 week :lol:

From start to finish with a months break it took me 6 months to learn & pass.. I had never driven a car before having lessons and didn't have a clue about gears..

I would honestly advise doing weekly lessons rather than an intensive course xx Good luck whatever you decide, its the best thing (other than my kids) that i have ever done.. I would be lost without my car now xx

I looked into both options too! I did 1 or 2 lessons a week depending how busy I was. I was insured on hubby's car but too scared to use it until near the end!! It took me 6 months to get there (mostly confidence issue!) but I did have breaks here and there as I was learning while pregnant. But I did pass first time at 37 weeks preg!

Block bookings can make it cheaper - try some lessons first but then you can book in 10hr or more blocks to reduce costs usually x

I did my lessons weekly, I personally felt that this was better as my driving instructor could see when I was ready for my test and I knew when I felt confident enough to do my test. That way I passed.

I would have been wary of doing a crash course incase I never felt ready to take the test at the end of it and so failed. My sister did a crash course and she failed as they didnt do manouvers much so she failed on them as she hadnt even done a reverse around the corner and then got one in her test.

Good luck with whatever you do, I hope you pass. xxx

I'm looking into doing an intense course :)

I hate driving though, but hate relying on others more.... Last time I had a lesson I cried lol and then stopped in the middle of a road for a squirrel

I think I was born to be driven lol

Most ADI's will advise you against an intense course and i can understand why tbh because they are teaching you to pass the test, not to actually drive. I'm currently learning (my test is next thursday eeeek) and i've been having two one hour lessons a week with the occasional two hour lesson when he can fit me in for that extra hour. Learning to drive is about so much more than just passing the test; there are different conditions, different times, different volumes of traffic, all sorts of variables that you need to learn in over a period of time and a crash course just wouldn't prepare you enough for this. The DSA really don't like them apparently. Also, there's the issue that with a crash course you are put in for your test at the end of the week anywhere in the country, where ever they can get you a test time basically because ordinarily you are waiting six weeks at most test centres for a test date. Bit of a pain because if I fail i really really don't want to have to wait another six weeks for another test date. Good luck whatever you decide to do xx

From a driver view i hate crash courses.

To many drivers out there clearly can not drive. In order to learn.everything correctly need more than quick crash course.

Im.dead sick of others not sticking to lanes (not hard) almost crashing into me.
One point from my long list, sorry.

Be confident in yourself - that's the main thing, I booked my theory for my 17th birthday, passed that, bought my car, booked my practical test, for the first available test date, which was exactly 4 weeks later,(all before I'd had a lesson) and paid for 40 hours of lessons (£650) and Just crammed them all in, and 4 weeks later i passed.

Just be confident and go for it!

I wanted to do a intense course but ended up doing two lessons a week for three months and passed first time.

I'm in a similar situation. Several years ago I took a failed my test three times. Each time I took it the nerves got worse and by the end of it I was a mess and had no more money to throw away.

I took a break and have slowly built back up my road confidence as we bought a smaller car last year that I am happy to drive. I am going to do an intensive course soon as I just need to brush up on the "correct way" to do things.

My OH says there is nothing wrong with my driving. I have driven from Newbury to Brighton and back before, no motorways of course, with him and my LO in back. We would not risk LO if he didn't think I was perfectly capable of driving. That’s why for me I think and intensive will be what I need.

Stick to the lessons hun will work out cheaper incase you dont pass.

To many drivers out there clearly can not drive. In order to learn.everything correctly need more than quick crash course.

Im.dead sick of others not sticking to lanes (not hard) almost crashing into me.

I agree with this, everything comes with experience, but sadly only once you pass, I crashed the day after I passed, dinted my car the day I passed.. I had 3 crashes within 12 months of me passing, haven't had one since, I'll have been driving 5 years in may

I agree with this, everything comes with experience, but sadly only once you pass, I crashed the day after I passed, dinted my car the day I passed.. I had 3 crashes within 12 months of me passing, haven't had one since, I'll have been driving 5 years in may

i believe you gain.all that experience from taking lessons over months & learning more in depth. nothing stopping someone taking you out in there car to get bet more time in.

Another point ( not pointed at person i quoted, cant see name on my phone sorry)
my insurance through the roof.
Im only 22, driven 5yrs, never crashed every year my insurance just gone up & up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->