Weight/BMI in pregnancy ... Apparently I'm nearly obese...Help!

DivineDiamond

Reaction score
Hi ladies, had my first appointment with midwife yesterday, everything was going fine and she was happy with everything, did my height and weight and she couldn't believe my weight. I'm 75 kg/12 stone and I carry it fairly well considering I'm 160cm (I've got good ok' childbearing hips but always been this way) my bmi is 29 so I'm classed as overweight, but I already knew this, I was in the process of losing weight through lifestyle changes and regular walks.

The thing is, at the moment the thought of any healthy food makes me feel awful I can only eat toast (which I did give up before!) and eat small ready meals as cooking anything makes me urge :( I hate eating processed foods but it's all I can stomach at the moment, I adore the new lifestyle changes that I made and was on my way to 10 1/2 stone which is my target weight. I discussed this with midwife and she said just go back to my healthy eating when I feel better.

My question is, will I feel better because not eating healthy is making me feel rubbish!

Thank you all xxxx

At this stage I would just eat what you can manage. At my appointment she told me I was over weight too, and then in two weeks I lost a stone due to sickness and I was the right weight! I think a lot of weight at your first appointment is bloating and water anyway, I wouldn't worry! Xx

Firstly bmi is useless way of measuring someone so forget ir.

Secondly in 1st tri eating what you can (obv not large portions) will help vs not eating at all.

I loved cooking, i had made many lifestyle changes. I ADORED chicken, when i eat it my stomach goes funny.

Whether you will better and want healthy stuff is in impossible to guess. Im hit and miss still.

Fear not, after birth most likely you'll go back to how you were.

My bmi is 32, was trying to lose weight when I got my bfp. I am now just eating what I want(which isn't much) and will worry about losing the weight after my baby is born xx

using bmi to calculate is so dumb. Im so surprised that doctors even use it because that doesn't take into account water weight or muscle mass.

my doctor gave me a bmi of 27. I weigh 174 and I'm 5'7". Okay, that sounds like a lot of weight, but I'm really not fat at all. I carry it well. I have thicker legs and butt, but regardless, I don't look super overweight or obese. I'm not really worried about the number on the scale. as long as my baby and I are healthy, that's all im worried about. I'm trying my best to eat healthy and stay active.

I am obese and was desperately trying to lose weight before my BFP. I gained 5 stone with my first pregnancy!!! At the moment I can only stomach rubbish food (I've lived on chips only) but when I feel better I will focus on just being healthy.. You will feel better, even with a bad diet at the moment. Pregnancy in itself makes you feel awful in the first trimester.. so hopefully when that is over you'll bloom!

BMI isn't ideal, but unless you're an athlete with very high muscle mass or elderly (we lose muscle mass as we age), it's a fairly accurate first snapshot of how healthy your weight is. No, it's not perfect, but it's better than nothing (and recommended by the American College of Sports Medicine and the American Council on Exercise, amongst others, as a first step when assessing clients for personal training/weight loss strategies).

Well done you on losing weight :) It's so important to try to be a healthy weight during pregnancy: being overweight increases your risk factors in so many areas.

In first tri, the baby is getting very little nutrition from you, so don't worry about not giving the baby what it needs. Be sure to be taking a prenatal though (or at the very least, folic acid).

Eat what you can stomach but don't go crazy. You don't need extra calories until second tri, and even then it's only an extra 300-500 (a small sandwich).

Losing weight during pregnancy isn't advised and, without being patronising, plans to 'lose weight once the baby is born' are a little unrealistic. If you didn't find the time to exercise or eat healthy before you have a baby, there's no way you'll do so once you have a baby to look after!! Celebrities who lose the weight 'running around after their kids' are liars with personal trainers and nannies.

Come second tri you'll feel better, have more energy and be able to eat healthy. Just get through to then without going crazy.

Apparently I'm nearly obese too according to my bmi , I mean I'm not full of myself and I don't love myself but I am no way obese, yeah I'm overweight, I admit that I definitly carry a few extra pounds but I'm not obese. With this pregnancy I've felt real sick too so all I've managed to eat is rubbish basically, I know it's terrible but it's all I've been able to stomach. I'm just making sure I get to the end of my pregnancy with a healthy baby, I will worry about my extra weight after he or she is born.

Enjoy your pregnancy Hun and just try and relax xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->