Weight gain in first 7 weeks?!?!

NinjaPanda

Reaction score
Ok, ok, I know you are supposed to gain weight when you are pregnant but I don't think you're supposed to gain a lot in first tri. I'm only 7 weeks and I've gained almost 5 lbs already! I mean, maybe I've been eating too much but it has been the only way to quell my severe nausea. I don't know. I'm just hoping it's simply bloat from the medication I'm on (endometrin and heparin) or the constipation I've been having. Has anyone else had a problem with weight gain in the early stages?

I too gained 5lb almost instantly. I was worried at first, but I haven't gained any more than that original five (and I'll fluctuate lower and then back up again through out the day). My doctor said it wasn't "real weight" but rather just fluid retention and hormonal bloating. It'll all be okay :)

That's good to hear. I don't see my doctor till the 17th.

When I went in for the initial consultation at 7 weeks the scale said I had went up 4 lbs. But at my next appointment I was back to pre-pregnancy weight. I think the initial bloat during those first few weeks shows up as water weight on the scale, so I wouldn't worry too much at this early stage. :)

If I recall not only did I gain about 5 pounds the first few weeks with my first but I was SO BLOATED! I think it all ends up evening out- the first few weeks of my second trimester I gained only 1 pound, then I would gain 2-3, then only 1 type of thing. I do recall my doctor giving me the healthy foods / healthy weight gain discussion but assured me each woman is different and gaining the .25lb a week (or whatever it is) doesn't always work out like that.

I think only you know yourself if you've really overdone it with the eating but don't underestimate the bloat and constipation too. I put on 4 stone with DS1 and I really don't want to do that again but like you the food stops the sickness and it's usually carbs and stodgy stuff that works (sadly not craving a little superfood salad at the minute 😂 )

Ugh, it's the carbs and the deep-fried that ease it. Right now the only thing I want to eat is Mac n cheese

I have the exact same issue - the only thing that eases my nausea is carbs. But it's been like this for each of my pregnancies and I can say that even though I gained a fair bit in the first tri (enough to get a talk from my dr) it was easy to control the weight gain after the nausea eased up and I topped out at 28 or so lbs total for each kid. So try not to worry and just eat what you need now! Nausea is the worst, so I feel like you have to do whatever helps or you can't function with your life!

on my 8th week appointment i lost 2 pounds. nothing eases up my nausea, except fruits. :( i try to eat bread but it makes my nausea so much worse after.

I've gained about 8lbs already - but the first few weeks 3-5 I was absolutely ravenous, then nausea kicked in and like you eating is the only thing that helps. Just do what you need to do - don't stress about the weight.

I gained about a stone in the first 8 or so weeks and haven't gained since and I'm 17 weeks now xx

I always put on 8lbs in the first 10 weeks. With my 1st LO I was sick a lot, I couldn't eat much and I still put on 8lbs. I think sometimes our bodies just grab onto the calories to make fat stores for the pregnancy.

This is very reassuring. I'm only 5+3 and already gained 2 lbs.

Ninja this is exactly what's happened to me! I never weigh myself but after my MC in July my obgyn weighed me and I was X and then 2 weeks ago at my 7 week scan I had gained 4.5kgs. I am sure it is from all the over-eating to ease the nausea but equally from the constipation!!

I like what the other ladies have suggested about hormones and water causing the extra weight. Makes me feel better!

Also, I remember with DS1 and 2 I put on the most weight in the first tri and it evened out over the 2nd and 3rd. Overall I only put on about 12-14kgs

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelMom1012
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->