Weight gain in preemies

maisiemoo

Reaction score
I had Olivia weighed this morning and she's gained 9ozs in two weeks, which i think is really good. This brings her up to 10lbs 13ozs at 16 weeks (9 weeks corrected). She weighed 4lbs 2ozs at birth. Olivia is also a surgical baby and has had 6 ops so far - she's also BF.

Anyways, she's dropped a whole centile and the HV is getting worried. She requested that I informed our consulant (who isn't at all worried). I now have to get her weighed again next week :( I hardly slept last night as I was anxious about todays weigh in and despite my better judgement, I can't help but worry now!! :growlmad:

Preemie babies rarely put on weight the same as fullterm babies but unfortunately hv forget this. At 16 weeks corrected my lo was only 10lb 5oz. She plods along the 0.4th centile and a couple of times dropped out of it but thankfully my hv has never worried about it as she is still gaining and is alert.

I used to stress about her being so small but have gradually realised that's the way she is.

I know it's easier said than done but try not to worry especially if the consultant is happy.

Alex dropped a few centiles but kept her own lil line, and tbh HVs will panic but neonatal will say its the norm :)

Andrew plods along on the -3SD percentile on the low-birthweight charts :D I don't worry so long as he's maintaining his growth, he'll start climbing the percentiles when he's ready.

Thank you all. I actually phoned the HV and told her the consultants weren't worried, I also told her that questioning her weight gain in the manner she did worried me and made me feel a little crappy. She completely understood and has agreed to "look at the bigger picture" where Olivia is concerned, which is great :)

Glad you got things sorted. Ella's not even on the 0.4 centile lol HV not worried though as she knows all problems we've had. She'll catch up eventually hugs xxx

Erin has always had weight gain issues esp since leaving the NIUC. She too floats around and under the 0.4th centile. This has been my major concern for so long and i have seeked so much advice - -the best came from this site! Now i take her every 2 weeks to get weighed and ignore any comments from HV's - as long as she gains i am happy. I 've resigned myself to the fact that i will not take her one day and be told she has put on 2 lb's - its just Erin and i know she's fine! Trust your instincts - you know best!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->