weight gain only 2oz in two weeks

- Butterfly -

Cautiously Pregnant
Reaction score
I desperately want to continue breastfeeding my baby - if anyone can share similar experiences then that would be fantastic.

Rosie Mae is now 6 weeks old. Born weighing 6lb 9oz. I have been bf her exclusively. Everything was going fine and at 4 weeks she weighed 7lb 9oz. Over the weekend I noticed a milk blister on my right nipple and it started to get more painful. I called my HV who visited yesterday. She weighed Rosie and in two weeks she had only put on 2oz so at 6 weeks she only weighs 7lb 11oz.

The HV watched me feeding Rosie and said that the blister has been caused as her latch is not sufficient. Rosie is very little and my breasts are big so she tends to only take the nipple and small amount of areaola. I was previously led to believe that if I wasn't in pain and baby had wet and dirty nappies then I didn't need to worry :shrug:

I have done nothing but cry since she was weighed yesterday. :cry: I have been trying so hard to get her to take a bigger mouthful but she just pulls back after going on. She thrashes about so much when I try to wait for that gaping mouth - I get so frustrated and then it takes ages for my milk to let down. :cry:

There is no way I can express for her - I need both my hands whilst feeding her (as breasts are so big I have to support the breast)
Also she is quite clingy and there wouldn't be enough time to express when she's asleep as she likes to be rocked/cuddled etc.

Someone please please help me. I feel like I'm failing her. :cry:

Hi hun didnt want to read and not reply, Is there no one that can come and help if you try to express, just to hold your lo for you? ebm will help with weight gain as well as giving your nipples time to heal even if its once a day. Also is there no BF support group in your area? there may be a BF councellor that may be able to give you more support and offer advice. :hugs::hugs: xx

I have been really worried about Finns weight. He was born 7 weeks ago at 8 lb 3 and has just been weighed today at 9 lb 7. He's exclusively breastfed. Last week he got weighed and only put on an oz from the week before.

But my hv has been really supportive and told me to continue to bf. She was right though as he's following his line nicely although it is the 9 th centile. Has your hv expressed concern? I cried and cried every week at weigh in, we were put on weekly checks, but she never pushed me to use formula and was happy that he was getting enough food. Sometimes babies don't put weight on like the average, doesn't mean there is anything wrong. I cant believe I'm in a place now where I can say that and actually mean it now, I couldn't a few weeks ago, I was convinced I was starving my baby:cry:

If you hv says everything is fine then it is, keep doing what your doing and don't panic, you are doing the best for your baby by bf'ing :hugs:

My milk blister has stopped hurting and seems to be going away so I really don't feel expressing with be helpful. I think I'd find it stressful trying to find someone to come in to hold baby whilst I express.

HV said that although weight had fallen to 2nd centile - she wasn't concerned there was anything medically wrong - she felt it was just the latch and to keep trying to correct it. Easier said than done when Rosie is thrashing about.

There is no local breastfeeding group. The HV did watch me feed but not for long - I felt she was in a rush to go - probably to her next appointment.

I am considering a lactation consultant but I can't really afford it :nope:

Sorry to hear your feeling so low.....I think the best advise is to get to a breast feeding group or clinic...contact the Nct , are there none in your area?it helps to take the pressure off! Stress will affect your let down so make sure you are having time to unwind...have a warm bath. Remember all babies grow at different rates even brothers and sisters!!!! Mine have all varied with weight gain, and she may have a spurt later on. My third baby didn't regain his birth weight for almost 3weeks and gained very slowly, but is a healthy 24lbs now at 16mnths!.... whereas my fourth 6lb 15 lost nothing initially and is nearly 10lb at 5weeks, and looks huge compared to his bro at that age. All these charts just make us anxious when we should be concentrating on how well LO is developing.....and i'm sure with practice her latch will improve. Do you use a nursing pillow...these sometimes help in larger breasted women? Try to remember to relax and sit comfortably, feet flat, and suport babies head but not grip, hold baby close (tummy to mummy if pos!)and nose to nipple so you get a nice wide gape...sometimes a latch may not look perfect but it will work, so in time you will find domething that works for you hun. I like to lie on my side as my baby fusses and doesn't find it easy to find my nipple for some reason LOL. Also if you are getting engorged, or too full baby will find it hard to latch and may slip off causing blisters so pumping or hand expressing can help....make sure you hand express gently tho as not to cause tissue damage (ask hv to help if she's helpful unlike mine!)

I'm glad your blister isn't hurting so much now....make sure you give it plenty of air to help it heal.

Seriously keep at it...you are doing a great thing.

x x x x

I agree with Mamaofthree; also if your LO gained 1lb in 4 weeks; taking into consideration she will have lost some weight after the birth thats a really respectable weight gain so previously the latch must have been adequate so you're not back to square one; it may need some practice to get things back to how they should be thats all. Some babies gain in fits and starts; massive gains one week or fortnight and virtually nothing the next. xx

Have you tried another position? I'm very big breasted and find my LO can only latch properly in the rugby ball position whilst on a pillow.

HTH xx

. Some babies gain in fits and starts; massive gains one week or fortnight and virtually nothing the next. xx

This is soo true. Either side of the week Finn only gained an oz, he had gained seven and nine ounces respectively so really it all balanced out. This is why they only recommend once monthly weigh ins, although I've never made it that far yet, too worried, lol

Thanks everyone. The rugby ball position is definitely a better latch - although she is so fussy she won't accept the whole feed that way!!

I will try to keep calm!! xx

There's a great link here on big boobs: https://www.breastfeedingbasics.com/html/Large_Breasted_Tips.shtml

Often mums find that a simple sling can be made with a scarf to help lift the breast.

I found the National Breastfeeding Helpline useful. Also, La Leche League (LLL) have a network of trained peer supporters who could help you with the latch. They have meetings in most areas on at least a monthly basis but will often offer help sooner than this if it's urgent and you can travel to them. Sure Start centres often also have breastfeeding groups. Most hospital trusts also have a breastfeeding co-ordinator - try ringing your local maternity unit. I've used all of the above services on my breastfeeding journey (large breasts, flat nipples, milk blisters) and found them all really helpful. All of them are free too

Like i said on FB hun, Rosie's weight gain is similar to Niamh's and Niamh gets 5oz of formula after shes been on the boob, some babys are just slow gainers no matter how there fed.

Aslong as shes happy inbetween feeds and getting plenty of wet and dirty nappys and shes gaining some weight then shes fine

:hugs: dont feel bad hun, stick with it. My first wouldnt latch and was eventually put on formula but she gained just as little on formula as she was with my less than perfect latch so I can tell you from experience ff does not always mean LO will gain more, some babies are made to gain a little slower.

your LO is gaining and not losing so you are doing good, slow weight gain happens every now and again with BF anf FF babies............your doing great :hugs::hugs:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->