Weight Gain

DebbieF

Reaction score
At all of my dd's pediatrician appointments he always makes a comment that her weight gain is on the low side of normal. He doesn't seem overly concerned about it, but it really stresses me out..

She was born on Dec 10 at 7lb 13oz and as of yesterday she weighs 9lb 14oz. So that is a little over a 2lb weight gain in 7 weeks. From everything I read online they should be gaining about a pound a month and she is on track with that. So why is he saying she is on the low side? How much weight do your lo's gain in a month? She is exclusively bf and had never had formula if that makes a difference.

don't bother listening to scales and "low sides" as long as your lo is gaining she is doing wonderfully. Some babies just don't gain a ton of weight like some do and he may also be used for formula fed babies. breast fed babies don't always gain like others.

they even started a growth chart to include breast fed babies average gain but even then every breast fed baby is different

only worry if they are not gaining at all or losing weight
https://kellymom.com/images/growth/growthcharts.gif

Oh boy i understand. My son has ALWAYS been on the low end of the charts, doc has never expressed concern, he told me that all babies are different, they grow differently and the charts are just an outline based mainly on formula fed children (as ff is a little more common these days) who
usually gain weight a little bit
quicker. As long as your little one is not losing weight. Is eating and drinking well and is happy i wouldnt worry at all :)

I wouldn't worry to much. As long as she is gaining and not losing I think you are fine. My son was born 7lbs 2 oz dropped to 6 lbs 4 oz before my milk came in on day 4 and is now 7 weeks old and weighs 12lbs and has never had any formula. Every baby is different.

Breast Feeding is very important for our child. it provides essential nutrition and vitamins to their body for internal growth.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->