Weightloss before TTC - What do you do?

Amygdala

Reaction score
Hi all!

As you might have guessed from my other thread about crosstrainers, I'm determined to get that BMI down to a healthy level for TTC.
I'd like to get to 24 and am currently just under 30 I think. :dohh:
I know there are some other ladies on here sharing my quest so I was wondering how you do it and what's worked for you? I'd rather exercise than put myself on too strict a diet. And I usually have very little time and energy left over after a long day at the office so I'm a bit at a loss.
Any hints, tips, motivating comments, stories of success? :D

Thanks girls!

How do you work out BMI?

I was underweight when I started my last pregnancy (it went fine thought, BTW) and I think I'm just about right for my size now - but happy to put on a few pounds if it would make things easier.

Fly

There are some good BMI calculators online. This is the NHS one...

https://www.nhs.uk/Tools/Pages/Healthyweightcalculator.aspx

Ooh - just did that. I get 19.9 - so could probably do to put another few pounds on, but am still within the healthy range.

Is there an ideal BMI for TTC that is different to the normal healthy range?

Fly

I don't know, good question? I'm now just under 25 (lost around 1.5 stone since May) so the gym has been working!

I have a feeling that it's the same - you don't want to be too thin, because then it knocks your cycles out - and too much excersise can disrupt your periods. I also think that if you are losing weight, you have to do it slowly - otherwise your body thinks you are starving and shuts down your cycle... I am sure I read that somewhere.

Good luck!

Aparently the best weight fot ttc is just above the healthy range at 26/27. Obv this all depends on your frame and how you carry your weight.

Im trying to lose weight but this is my first week. Im just trying to make a more healthy choice in food and drink and slowly increase my exercise. Im doing this at first by walking when i can instead of getting the bus and hopefully will be going swiming next week, work depending.

Wow - I didn't know that.

So I better get eating... anyone who has got any spare can send it my way!

I'm trying to lose weight too - have a LOT to lose and shan't be a healthy weight when we start ttc, but at least I will be lighter than now! This week I have lost 4lb, which is good! I have started seeing a PCT health trainer and basically this week we have put a plan together and that is for me to plan a healthy menu for a week and also to plan in exercise, so feeling positive about that!

I think any diet works, but the main thing is to eat less calories and move more, so that's my main plan! :) x

I think Tony Wechsler says in her book that the ideal BMI for conception is 24. This seems to agree https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/...know-based-research-examining-MILLION-us.html and is interesting generally.
But I wouldn't worry too much. If you can put on some weight healthily then yay! But I don't think "fattening" yourself up with chocolate bars and bacon makes you more likely to conceive. The key is being healthy.

I don't like those kinds of foods anyway = that's probably why I'm slim...

I do need to do more excersise though - as even though I'm slim, I work at home, in front of my computer and am horribly unfit. I'd like to do some more activity, without losing weight which means bigger (but still healthy) portions!

Fly

The body tis a strange thing, when I got pregnant with ds (now 5) I weighed 23 stone!! I fell pregnant really really quickly. This time, we were trying for two years, despite having lost 12 stone! Very strange! x

I hate exercise. A lot. The idea of gyms sends a shiver down my spine! I do irish dancing though, and that keeps in good shape. Makes you very toned anyway.
I know someone who said the best thing they did to lose weight was walking her neighbour's dog for half hour - an hour once or twice a day, start line dancing twice a week, and start going to Weight Watchers every week. She said she was embarassed to put on weight at her WW meetings, especially if everyone else did well, so that kept her on the straight and narrow XD
She said ordering her food online was better too, because she wasn't so tempted to buy ice cream and chocolate and wine if it wasn't right there in her face. Makes sense!

Best of luck in all your journeys by the way, and congratulations babybel :) xx

Ps. Just did my BMI on our super duper amazing scales with all the bells and whistles, and apparently I'm 17.7, which isn't good I suppose. But I can't put weight on, this is just my weight I think. Even though I haven't been exercising or eating that well recently it's still low lol :p
I also worked out how much fat I had on my body, and it's 8%. Apparently that's really low :/ Maybe the scales aren't that good, they must be broken or something. I think if my body fat was 8% I'd be dead :p

Over the past summer I lost 20 pounds. I did it following the weight watchers plan, and I basically cut out all foods with preservatives and keep away from high fructose corn syrup. Now the only "unhealthy" thing I have is a glass of wine or two at dinner (which I know I need to stop once TTC). I stick to lots of vegetables and fruits, oatmeal for breakfast, and fresh fish and usually whole wheat couscous for dinner.

I also do exercise as well. I do the Couch to 5K program (on the fifth week!) three times a week and strength training three times a week. This is in addition to walking the dog every morning for about 25 minutes.

I feel healthier and sexier :coolio:, and my self esteem just got a huge boost. I'm looking forward to sticking to my healthy lifestyle while pregnant....I've read the preferred diet in the "What to Expect" book and that's basically what I eat! It means a healthier baby and a healthier me! :happydance:

ETA: I just did the BMI calculation and I went from a 25 to a 22. I was still considered "average" at my higher weight though. I take the BMI calculations with a grain of salt, however. If you are an athlete with lots of muscle mass you can be considered "obese" on the BMI scale because it doesn't take into account your muscle to fat ratio.

Over the past summer I lost 20 pounds. I did it following the weight watchers plan, and I basically cut out all foods with preservatives and keep away from high fructose corn syrup. Now the only "unhealthy" thing I have is a glass of wine or two at dinner (which I know I need to stop once TTC). I stick to lots of vegetables and fruits, oatmeal for breakfast, and fresh fish and usually whole wheat couscous for dinner.

I also do exercise as well. I do the Couch to 5K program (on the fifth week!) three times a week and strength training three times a week. This is in addition to walking the dog every morning for about 25 minutes.

I feel healthier and sexier :coolio:, and my self esteem just got a huge boost. I'm looking forward to sticking to my healthy lifestyle while pregnant....I've read the preferred diet in the "What to Expect" book and that's basically what I eat! It means a healthier baby and a healthier me! :happydance:

Dont mean to sound dumb but high fructose corn syrup?

Dont mean to sound dumb but high fructose corn syrup?

Unfortunately in the US it's used as an artificial sweetener in almost any processed food. Have you ever had US chocolate and noticed that it tastes funny compared to UK chocolate? It's because of the high fructose corn syrup. Apparently (according to DH who is from England) it's a banned substance in Europe so you don't get it over there.

There's conflicting reports about it, but most studies tend to point out that the rise in obesity rates in the US coincided with replacing natural sugars with high fructose corn syrup. There are other reports saying it's really not that bad, but most of them are funded by the companies that provide High fructose corn syrup. DH tends to think that it's bad for you so we try to stay away from it (which is actually really hard to do...it's in almost everything!)....so we stay away from processed foods and don't drink any sodas. And we only eat chocolate imported from Europe :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->