Weightloss Surgery on the NHS

Personally I'd like to see the whole person being treated before anything so drastic as surgery.

In many, many people its a psychological or medical problem but the GP's (in my experience) just fob people off.

I personally went to my gp as I was seriously concerned about my weight. I was eating so, so healthy and doing lots of exercise yet I was still putting on weight. I was told to have smaller portions and that was it!
I asked for a diabetes check as I had gestational diabetes a year before, but was refuses. I also asked if the implant could be having an affect, was told no. Since then I've learned that many women put on weight while on the implant so I'm planning on having it removed.

My point is, there must be a reason for this weight gain (not over eating), but my gp and another fobbed me off. How many people does this happen to?
I will admit that since then I've kinda given up on a diet and healthy eating but that's due to stress and other stuff but if I'd had the help I needed at the time, I would have stuck to it.

Its not always as easy to go to weight watchers or slimming world etc, its expensive, so is the gym and that's all most gp's advise.

I just think a little help at the beginning would save the need for surgery for a lot of people.

Of course, if that doesn't work then surgery should be available, along with the appropriate dietician, counselling etc.

I was fairy slim before I had my first implant, had it in and my weight soured, nothing I did helped. Then I had my son and later the twins, after the twins I lost all my weight and was still losing, had the implant and again my weight had soured, and again nothing I do changes it. So definite for me it's the implant, I need it out but I don't have other contraceptive options really so out it off.

Gastric bypass is not a quick fix. It's a lifelong commitment. My mother had gastric bypass surgery in 2005. She had to lose about 150lbs first and then she had to continue to eat smaller portions after the surgery. She's also had plastic surgery as well to reduce excess skin and give herself a lift. She's happier and healthier now. She also ate for comfort. She sees a psychologist as well (as far as I know).

I think that the NHS should treat the whole person. Work on weight loss first, underlying causes of weight gain and overeating, psychological treatment. Then, gastric bypass can be offered as an addition to that.

I think it depends on the person and It should only be offered as a last resort. But I really don't believe that people who bring it on themselves deserve it. I mean the sort if people who don't have anything wrong with them psychologically, have been on diets and lost the weight, but simply just can't be arsed to keep up with it so just end up gaining all the weight again. Those who have an illness and psychological problems or have been under dietitians with no improvement then yes I think the option of surgery should e available to them should all options fail.

So we should only treat the "deserving" poorly people should we?

There are many, many situations where people can be deemed to bring their health problems on themselves. Who gets to choose who gets treatment or not?

Yes, foogirl. You're deserving if you make a considered effort to lose weight and not just use it as an excuse not to diet.

So what about the rugby player who continually ends up in A&E with broken limbs? Does he deserve care? He's not making a considered effort to keep himself safe.

The drunk driver. The gang member. The highly stressed stock-broker. Do we take their lifestyle into account?

But we're not talking about them, are we? We're debating weight loss surgery on the NHS, not who deserves or doesn't deserve care because of lifestyle.

No it shouldnt be free. ive lost 6 stone and if i can do it anyone can i loooove food!! Xxx

I do feel that patients should first show they want to lose weight by changing diet etc.

But we're not talking about them, are we? We're debating weight loss surgery on the NHS, not who deserves or doesn't deserve care because of lifestyle.

The whole question is whether obese people deserve surgery because of their lifestyle. That is the debate. And my point is why should obese people be judged on their lifestyle when deciding whether or not they have treatment when we don't do it for any other group of people who put themselves at risk. The NHS is a universal system which gives treatment regardless of social circumstance. Gastric band surgery is a long established procedure accepted and practiced on the NHS so anyone eligible for it, should have it. And just like the heart patient who continues with a diet of fatty food after his quadruple bypass, the obese person who continues to eat unhealthily should not be judged.

The whole question is whether obese people deserve surgery because of their lifestyle. That is the debate. And my point is why should obese people be judged on their lifestyle when deciding whether or not they have treatment when we don't do it for any other group of people who put themselves at risk. The NHS is a universal system which gives treatment regardless of social circumstance. Gastric band surgery is a long established procedure accepted and practiced on the NHS so anyone eligible for it, should have it. And just like the heart patient who continues with a diet of fatty food after his quadruple bypass, the obese person who continues to eat unhealthily should not be judged.

I never said they weren't supposed to get the treatment? :shrug: I said they should put effort into it first, like my mom had to and that was in the states.

I never said that you did, I was responding to the question of whether they should have to pay the money back if they continue to overheat, and to those who say it shouldn't be available.

I had treatment for anorexia when I was younger, and it saved my life. I think this is the same thing. People get obese for all sorts of reasons. Tragedy in their life, emotional eating... Personally I am obese because of a medication ive been on for puerpal psychosis.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->