weird genetics question (earlobes)

WholeHeart

Reaction score
This isn't something I'm particularly worried about, just curious. My earlobes do not match, and neither do my sister's--we each have one earlobe that is obviously much more attached than the other, but on opposite sides. It looks like we were in a hurry putting on two pairs of ears and accidentally each grabbed one of each pair. (Neither one of us has ever gotten our ears pierced, and I don't even wear clip-ons because I can never get them to sit anything like evenly.) If I pull my hair back, you can clearly see that one of my earlobes sticks out and the other one doesn't, but of course with no earrings you have to be actually looking for the difference to be conscious of it.

All the explanations I've seen for why people have one attached and one detached earlobe seem to me to be unlikely to occur twice in a row in the same family. What are the chances that we would both be chimeras, both be mosaic in exactly the same way, or both have had identical trauma in utero? Unlikely to the point of ridiculous. There is a more than three years' difference in our ages (not twins), and we have no other siblings, so we obviously don't know if any others would have had mismatched ears or not. I'm pretty sure there's something unexplained going on genetically, and I'm wondering what the chances are that I will pass this trait on to my child (not that it matters what his or her ears look like, but I'm curious).

Has anyone read anything that would explain multiple children in the same family having mismatched ears like this? Or know if it passes down to the next generation?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->