weird things tom does - help

Emmea12uk

The Folic acid police!
Reaction score
A few weird things i noticed about tom - does anyone else's Lo do these things?

tom has discovered that he can scratch things and it makes a noise!! He only does it with his right hand tho - and he will scratch anything over and over and over......including his right thigh.......:dohh: He is drawing blood. i am starting to worry that he might not have any sensation there - but I didnt think his SB would affect anything above his knee:(

He kicks and kicks and kicks REALLY hard when ever he is on his back. He has a trance like look on his face and he chews like he is eating something he has always done this and again, due to his SB i always saw this as a sign his legs were ok - but is it?? He is getting cuts on the back of his ankles from doing it and when i cleaned them with a baby wipe - he didnt flinch. So i thought i'd see if he felt pain if i put an alcohol wipe on it (i felt so cruel doing it) - but again no flinch.....

He makes gasping noises in his sleep like a child does when it has cried and cried and cried and is trying to calm down. Sometimes he can do it every breath in!

I dont know if i am being paranoid or not, so please tell me if you child does this...

Thank you

I have edited this and added some more things in...anyone there?

I am sorry, I don't know, but if it is something you are worried about you should maybe take him to the doctor. Maybe it is to do with the SB but again I don't know. . . I hope you find the answers and sorry I could not help. *Hugs*

Oh and i hope your little boy is OK! x

Im sorry hun i can't be much help but my LO has also discovered he can scratch things...he sleeps in his trael cot and i usually hear him in middle of the night scratching the side of it...or when hes playing he will scratch the floor surface etc...the only part of his body he scratches is his head...(and its not nits...lol)

Hope that helps hun xxx

I'd be worried about him scratching his skin until he draws blood? Would surely hurt & I would see what your family doc thinks? caitlin does scratch things for the noise and feel though - could be hes just right handed.

We have that hand gel stuff like alcohol and once a lil bit got near her bum - shes screamed. Dunno if that helps. I'd definately get this checked out if you have a concern over his feel (is that the right word doh).

Gasping? You mean like when they have cried got so upset and are coming down to calm? If so I can only confirm hun that when shes been upset - she did (I vaguely remember) have times she would wimper in sleep and sound like shes breathing heavier/harder.

x x

do you think i should try the gel then? i use it every nappy change because of the catheters...i would feel so awful if he screamed...

I was really hoping everyone would say...oh yeah my baby does that...:(

I can tell you hun it hurts! she went purple :| She has a lil napy rash so that did not go down well!

Really up to you :hugs: Reading how concerned you are I probably would although yer it may sound weird to do this to your baby but its not dangerous. I'd be worried if he had no reaction to that on sore skin/open cut!

:hugs: sorry hun I could not post that but I didn't want to walk away not being honest x

my little man scratches at things but not himself but in his sleep he does that upset noise like hes just stopped crying he does it alot in his sleep

Sam went through a phase of scratching everything at about Tom's age - I assumed it was because of the noise...I don't think he really scratched himself though - but if they do something that causes them pain I don't think they always realise that they've done it themselves and it might not stop them from carrying on. It might also look worse than it is. Did he cry when he had his injections in his thighs?

Sam also used to kick his legs down hard when he was on his back, and sometimes makes those noises in his sleep (if you mean what I think you do) - he makes all sorts of strange noises when he's asleep! x

Seth scratches thigns that make a sound (leather sofas etc) but never himself. Hes accidentally done it but dont think thats the same.

He does kick really really hard when he's on his back too and his this look of pure concentration on his face...

xxx

Caitlyn scratches everyone and everything but not herself. She also smacks her heels really hard off the floor when she is laid on her back. Out of frustration as she prefers her belly. She rolls over almost instantly now though. If you are concerned hun, speak to your dr.

:hugs:

Katie kicks her heels really hard when she's on her back, when she's getting nappy changed or in her bath seat. I'm always afraid she's going to really hurt her legs. She loves scratching the sofa and blankets. Maybe mention what Tom does to the doc to get some advice?

thanks guys! you made me feel loads better. he did cry when he ha a jabs - so i guess his thighs are ok!

:D I'm glad his jabs made him cry (that sounds horrible, sorry!)

:hugs: x

Um well actually max dose this too , hes started by scratching his bed , then moved onto his head and hes drawn blood before :( Hes stopped for about 2 weeks ..I would use baby oil on his head thinking it would help if its because of dry skin , but he started again last week Im taking him in to see his dr as its getting quite annoying poor thing keeps hurting himself ..

He also dose the gasping sounds , hes been doing it since birth I asked about it but its mostly due to them having dreams (crying hard in his dream) so he will gasp for about 10 min then i calm him down and hes ok

tom has discovered that he can scratch things and it makes a noise!! He only does it with his right hand tho - and he will scratch anything over and over and over......including his right thigh.......:dohh: He is drawing blood. i am starting to worry that he might not have any sensation there - but I didnt think his SB would affect anything above his knee:(

Hun, there is no proof over where his SB will affect until the time comes when he tries to walk/crawl etc or can tell you what he can feel. Try not to forget this.

He kicks and kicks and kicks REALLY hard when ever he is on his back. He has a trance like look on his face and he chews like he is eating something he has always done this and again, due to his SB i always saw this as a sign his legs were ok - but is it?? He is getting cuts on the back of his ankles from doing it and when i cleaned them with a baby wipe - he didnt flinch. So i thought i'd see if he felt pain if i put an alcohol wipe on it (i felt so cruel doing it) - but again no flinch.....

The movement isn't a sign that his legs are ok. This may sound mean to other Mum's but s a parent of a baby with SB I have to tell you that as I said before, just because his legs move, doesn't mean he is doing it purposefully. You say its when he's on his back? It could be an automatic reaction. Maybe he can't feel his feet/ankles/calves etc. It goes up and up and up and you wil never know what he can and can't feel until you can ask him and he will answer because only he will know.

There will be parts of his legs that are numb, that goes without saying. I hate to say this. but optimism is one thing and clouded glasses are another - you can hope he will have feeling and proper movement but you should never count on it, because it will break your heart when you find out when he's older that there are a few things wrong. You will be setting yourself up for a really big fall hun.

You say his cried for his jabs? Tegan didn't even know that she'd had hers done, not a single tear or cry. It obvious to me that she has very little sensation in her legs and feet. He is showing all the signs of having diminished feeling in his legs, but as I said no one can tell you until you can ask him himself.

He makes gasping noises in his sleep like a child does when it has cried and cried and cried and is trying to calm down. Sometimes he can do it every breath in!

I dont know if i am being paranoid or not, so please tell me if you child does this...

Thank you

Not sure about this bit but I am sure there is a simple explanation. Sorry if I sound harsh hun but its reality - take nothing forgranted and everything you do get will be a blessing :hugs:

If he is scratching to the point of drawing blood, then I think that needs to be evaluated by a physician. I think that there is your own home tests that you can do, but ultimately, a DR needs to hear about this. Even if he can feel his legs and he is doing this, I would still talk about this.

I would also discuss the breathing issues. Even though it could be just him discovering he can make funny sounds etc, it could be more than that, and I wouldn't wait to see the DR about anything related to breathing. Good luck and please keep up posted. :hug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Serenity123
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->